Re: Door lock seized up

Ok, being as there so many replies to my problem and could not respond to all due to time and the news server being down for 3 days, so thanks to all who replied. I decided to follow on my original subject by a new thread, which I don't normally do.

The problem is the actual lock not moving when the key is inserted into it to turn/open the lock. It will move so far, ie key turns about 75/85% and the actual lock does move back slightly, but then key stops dead and is not possible to move mthe lock back any more.

I have tried Ambersil (which is a very thin lubricating oil) by spraying it into the keyhole and inbetween the door and frame onto the lock, but it makes no difference. The lock is solid. Any further ideas? Thanks

Reply to
Bob H

Leave for some time and keep working at it as the oil will take time to penetrate and the rust etc requires to be broken down. It took me

2 months to free up a pair of Acrow props that had been left outside.
Reply to
robgraham

Talk to a locksmiths/security centre. Sounds like the levers aren't jamming but the bolt is.

Maybe prying the door up or down a little will help if the door's out of line. AFAIK powdered graphite is the stuff to use on locks as lubricant can attract dirt and gum up the levers.

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C

The advice I had from a locksmith was to cut through the lock bolt with a thin angle grinder and replace the lock. Worked fine for me.

Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan