Re: DIY Electrical (slightly OT)

But the Australians aren't stupid and have also set limits

> on hourly rates and mark up profits on supplying materials. > Or in other words, they are all the same at doing the job, > but if one is more expensive than another, they don't stay > in business very long because they don't get any work to do.

My underlying question was whether the need to be qualified had generated a shortage thus leading to a rise in prices. In London because there's more than enough work you can pay £45 (A$120) per hour for a decent plumber or electrician, whether formally qualified or not. For the most part they are not really competing on price: how soon they can do it tends to be more significant.

Reply to
Tony Bryer

You can pay that much for a piss-poor tradesman as well. Price alone ain't any guarantee of what you're likely to get......

Reply to
Wanderer

Sorry, a wee bit late, but I believe that's the crux of the difference between tradespeople down under and tradespeople here in the UK.

Here (In the UK) you can survive quite nicely by being crap & charging a fortune, because there's enough people & few enough tradespeople that you don't need return business in order to make a decent living. However down under where there appear to be more tradespeople per head of population and you need the return business to survive they tend to be a little more professional and a little less cowboy. Of course requiring certification tends to help a wee bit too.

Having said that in NZ IIRC, you can actually perform the wiring (Legally) on your own residence. I dont recall clearly whethe ryou need it certified or not, but I believe you do't have to (Although previously you could, and just needed it checked by an electrician).

Reply to
Hamish Marson