Re: Dimpull broken Transformer

On Wed, 31 Mar 2004 20:52:06 GMT, in uk.d-i-y Ian Stirling strung together this:

gna03633 wrote: >> I recently installed a Dimpull Switch in the bathroom, I liked the quiet >> action and err dimming. >> >> After installing the Dimpull to my 105w Skot Transformer I noticed that >> the 3 * 35w lamps were not as bright, not sure in that is normal. Before >> I went to bed I noticed that the lights had stopped working, so took out >> the fuse before going to bed. Had a look when I got home: > >> The switch must be dead/fried/? but what has happened to the transformer, >> could it be damaged where voltage will flow through but not enough to >> work the lamps? > >Does the transformer smell?

No, it has no nose!

Isn't that backwards?

Reply to
Lurch

On Wed, 31 Mar 2004 21:36:39 +0100, in uk.d-i-y gna03633 strung together this:

Had any of the old lamps blown? If you're sharing multiple lamps with one transformer when one blows the load on the transformer is increased and can burn it out. Could be that th transformer then took the Dimpull out as well. I would recommend you install 3 individual transformers.

Reply to
Lurch

In article , Harry Bloomfield writes

Some dimmers are not suitable to use with transformers, even ones which say "dimmable", and this may be one of them. Does the dimmer say it is suitable for use with LV lighting?

Reply to
Tim Mitchell

The load on the transformer would be reduced if 1 bulb blows. Since the OP had 3 bulbs on one TF I would be surprised if a load of 2 bulbs took it below its happy region. If it did then the transformer manufacturer is going to have near 100% faulty returns.

Regards, NT

Reply to
N. Thornton

On 1 Apr 2004 12:51:15 -0800, in uk.d-i-y snipped-for-privacy@meeow.co.uk (N. Thornton) strung together this:

Depends how long it's left and how good the transformer is. Many people don't realise this can happen and leave it like this for a while. Although 1 bulb blowing wouldn't take it below its happy minimum it would be close, most 105va transformers I've used are rated

65-105va, so the OP would be extremely close with 2 lamps on it. And I'm sure if you played with the calculations enough you could find that the load was under 65va. But, as always, without actually being on site, determining what *actually* happened is fairly difficult.
Reply to
Lurch

product will operate in conjunction with GOOD QUALITY low voltage transformers.

All the information says it will work with LV lighting.

I bought a multimeter so I will test all the lamps and the switch, can think I can use it to test the LV side of the transformer.

I'll keep you all informed, thanks for your help

Reply to
gna03633

Not all dimmers are suitable for LV lighting, and not all LV 'transformers' are suitable for dimming.

Reply to
Dave Plowman