Re Digital phone - what does 'Remote access from both handset and external line.' mean?

Sorry not DIY!- I want to buy a digital cordless phone and one of the features I would like is to be able to dial up my home phone no. when on holiday and listen to the answering machine messages (sad I know!). Is this what that line means for the following item?

jgkgolf

station, most have control from the handset(s) and some also allow access externally (can also be turned off). When the TAM answers an incoming call it also listens for incoming touch-tones from the calling phone, you enter the pass number, usually 4 digits (set by a menu on the base - always change it away from the manufacturer's default number), if you get the code correct then the numbers 1..9 control playback of your messages etc.

Reply to
Paul Herber

Might be worth adding that some DECT phones which have an answer machine facility, have the functionality built into one of the handsets rather than a base station. This means you can recover messages remotely, but locally you can only get them on the one handset that contains the answer machine facility - not any of the others.

Reply to
John Rumm