re. decking treatments

Good thinking, Pete. But unfortunately when the previous owner had all the decking done all the screws that were used were NOT rust-proof. This means that they over the last 10 years they have all rusted and now simply cannot be turned. Hence, my spending a lot of time thinking about how to care for and preserve all this wonderful decking for the remaining 30 years of its life . . . because if it starts to deteriorate and rot the only options will be to use a jigsaw to cut bits of it out and to use brute force on parts involving immoveable screws!

Eddy.

Reply to
Eddy

Dave, thanks a lot for this advice. Is it correct that if I use decking-cleaner > decking-oil > decking-cleaner > decking-oil . . . ad infinitum, there won't come a time when the entire 120 square metres will need completely stripping back with a sander . . . as would be the case if I go into the world of, for example, breatheable "varnishes", like "Sikkens Cetol Marine"?

Eddy.

Reply to
Eddy

It will only rot if it sits in water for long periods, and no treatment will stop that.

Reply to
Stuart Noble

Best option may be to borrow or hire a battery impact driver, and use with decent bits.

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C

I'll remember that! Thanks.

Eddy.

Reply to
Eddy

Problem with that is the screws. Some will snap if you try to remove them, others will tear the surface as they come out if they have been driven too deeply.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

I built my deck on 2000 and that's exactly what I've done. Its also the case with school hall floors coated with oleo resinous seal (which is also non film forming).

May not need doing every year.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

What product did you use and how does it look? Any chance of a piccy?

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C

B&Q own label clear decking oil.

Wasn't cleaned or treated last year (will be this year). Been down since

2000 and had loads of use.

Sorry about the picture quality (mobile).

Thats 'Norm the Gnome' BTW.

The Medway Handyman

Here's a pic of part of our decking. (You can see a portion of the steps, which are made of the same decking.)

areas of our decking have a patch or two somewhere caused by less exposure to sunshine or by being hidden for a long time under planters & pots.

Eddy.

Reply to
Eddy

> All areas of our decking have a patch or two somewhere caused by less

Nice job by the look of it. Very dirty though.

I'd be inclined to pressure wash it first so you can see the wood for the trees, so to speak. Don't think you can really tell what its like until you get the dirt off.

Presure wash with a wide fan jet, don't go too close as it can raise the grain.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Hi Dave. Thanks for looking at the pic. I can understand why you suggest pressure washing it! It obviously looks filthy to you! The fact is, I would happily lick it with my tongue! In other words, I KNOW it is absolutely clean. Pressure-washed it in late autumn 2007. Then sprayed it with a solution of Jeyes Fluid to get rid of slight green bloom here and there. No green has returned and the entire decking gets brushed regularly.

What you're seeing is a serious state of "shades of grey" - some of those shades almost being black.

At the moment, I am thinking I should definitely try a "Deck Cleaner" and see what that does to the greyness, generally, and to the dark patches here and there. If the result isn't pleasing enough, then I'm thinking I should move on to a "Deck Brightener" and see if that produces a uniform shade.

Then, after that, you're in favour of deck-oil. But I picked up a Ronseal wood-treatment booklet this morning and I see they offer "Decking Oil" or "Decking Stain". Do you know the difference, Dave? Does the "Decking Stain" penetrate, as I would expect a stain to do, or is it just a film, a paint?

Eddy.

Reply to
Eddy

Hells teeth! That is serious shading!! I did think that was dirt.

Sound idea. Doesn't cost a lot to try.

Not sure TBH. Never used any kind of stain myself. Does mention on their web site that 'the coating' should be inspected... but it also says that for decking oil.

I'd guess it soaks in rather than forming a surface coating.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Nice. Blends well with the wall and the greenery.

Reply to
Stuart Noble