Re: Cylinder v thermal store

Page 3 of 3

C1-5070 and C1-7090 - took me ages to find the brochure having just moved. You could be right though - looks like it might only be for the hot water.
Chris
--
Remove "nospam." from my address to reply directly

Mistral Boilers in Telford. I'm sure they are just plain oil boilers.

Lets have a look. Yes in Telford. They do a good range split into five categories. Combi, Kitchen, Sealed system, Diamond, and Boiler House. Their combis only go to 26kW though and I need about 40kW.
I've had a look at their combis at their dealers here and they are the best built CH boiler that I have seen. Nicely and very well thought out layout, easy access everywhere. The immersion is in the front just to the right of the burner IIRC..... Just checked the brochure and it is.
Re-reading the brochure, it looks like the immersion heater gives full backup. They claim it is a unique feature, and from what you say it seems that way.
I don't want one though because the dealer doesn't over a servicing service and his spares are bit on the pricey side.
Chris
--
Remove "nospam." from my address to reply directly

The only full backup for a "combi" is for the Potterton Powermax (well a combined primary storage unit, but still all in one case), but this is natural gas/LPG, not oil.

This has never been substantiated....
.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Andy, grow up. Keep polishing the CAT boots.

professional. You have always ducked the issue, and also the issue of qualifications.
If you didn't persist in turning this into some kind of perceived superiority issue and the put down of others and their views, the questions would not arise.
One can only deduce that absence of evidence equals absence of qualification and professional status.
.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Your views are based on incomplete knowledge of systems and only from a pure amateur viewpoint. When poor advise is given I will step in and correct. It is simple as that.
But you do persist in clevercloggsness

Even in areas where I can claim and demonstrate professional involvement, I do not claim to have a complete knowledge. That is for the arrogant, naive and uneducated. I do, however, know where to find information that I may need and how to validate it.
In areas here I am an amateur, and have always made that clear, comments are from personal experience and sound engineering principle.
The essence of DIY is, after all, by definition an amateur one.
Why is it that the known professionals who contribute to this NG do so without all the hullabaloo about being professional and the put downs of others?

It's a pity that you are unable to spell or to construct sentences in a grammatically correct manner. "Advise" is the verb - "advice" is the noun.
The notion that you are qualified to "correct" the comments of others seems to somehow lack credibility.

.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

I know.

There's no need to be rude.
- I don't believe that Chris is in the UK....
- In the UK, the position appears to be as follows:
From the Building Regulations, 2000
Hot water storage
******************** G3. A hot water storage system that has a hot water storage vessel which does not incorporate a vent pipe to the atmosphere shall be installed by a person competent to do so, and there shall be precautions -
(a) to prevent the temperature of stored water at any time exceeding 100C; and
(b) to ensure that the hot water discharged from safety devices is safely conveyed to where it is visible but will not cause danger to persons in or about the building.
********************
Note that there is a requirement for competence without it being defined, just as in the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations.
From the Approved Document to Part G:
The unit or package should be installed by a competent person, i.e. one holding a current Registered Operative Identity Card for the installation of unvented domestic hot water storage systems issued by
a) the Construction Industry Training Board, or
b) the Institute of Plumbing, or
c) the Association of Installers of Unvented Hot Water Systems (Scotland and Northern Ireland), or
d) individuals who are designated Registered Operatives and who are employed by companies included on the list of approved installers published by the BBA up to the 31st Dec 1991, or
e) an equivalent body
Notably, this says "should" and not "shall".
The IoP maintains one of the Competent Persons schemes allowing self certification as opposed to a Building Notice.
The Statutory Instrument does not appear to preclude submitting a building notice
.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Rude? The man was terse.

he should have said so. And he still didn't say where he was.