Re: Cutting floor tiles: Electric or Hand Operated cutter?

I have a water cooled electric tile cutter. Used it to do my kitchen/bathroom tiling.
Fantastic.
The main advantages over a manual tile cutter are :-
1 .You don't break lots of tiles that a hamfisted clod like myself does with a manual one. 2. Cut corners and semi complex shapes again without breaking tiles. 3. If can take 2mm off one edge of tile to get it to fit. Try doing that with a manual tile cutter. 4. Big tiles ... no problem.
Best 40 Quid I spent. I would have probably broken a lot more than 40 Quids worth of tiles using a maunual tile cutter.

Serial Bodger wrote:

end because you can cut down the larger offcutts to fit the smaller places. I used a PlasPlugs one to cut floor tiles diagonally as the OP wishes to do. Would have been nigh on impossible for me to do it the manual way.
On Thu, 14 Aug 2003 18:01:34 +0100, Serial Bodger wrote:

Agreed !!
I bought the Plasplugs cutter to cut floor tiles, on the advice given in this group some time back - wonderful :-) Couldn't have done the job any other way. Perhaps professional tilers can - but me ..... never:-)
--
Regards,

Troy the Black Lab.
snipped-for-privacy@alcatel.co.uk (Jon Weaver) wrote:
Hello Jon

Yep. Cheaper (for a good quality one), faster (in experienced hands), just as accurate, not as noisy (drowns out radio 1) and far cleaner.

Some of the cheapie ones are just crap. Especially those all-plastic ones that flex when you apply pressure.

Maybe. :) Personal taste, really. I like a good quality metal hand cutter, but it's a problem using one for edge cuts and twiddly bits. Preferred would be both, but you can do everything with an electric cutter (albiet slower, messier and noisier), so that may be your best path.

No. With *some* hand cutters.

Probably.
I know the plasplugs is blessed by one or two users in here, but I don't personally have any experience of them.
--
Simon Avery, Dartmoor, UK

But it doesn't give a near perfect machined edge as a wet diamond saw does. This may not matter, but sometimes it does.
--
*Why is it that rain drops but snow falls?

Hello Dave

Not machined, no - but the cut edge is clean and straight. Can't really see any major difference once they're laid.
--
Simon Avery, Dartmoor, UK
Jon Weaver wrote in message

have to move the tile to the jaws to snap it. The ones where you use the scribing handle to snap the tile are really easy to use, and I'm no pro with tiling.
Pro quality hand cutter any time. I bought one several years ago from the tile merchant. Spanish. Cost about 80 pounds. Was warned 'not to lend it to anyone'. If it wasn't buried beyond finding right now I'd dig it out and tell you the name. Cuts cleanly and quickly and never in the wrong place. It has an attachment (extra money) for cutting holes. I used it on quarries and I don't think you can get tougher than that.
Peter Scott ________________________________________________________________

Peter Scott wrote in message ...

On 14 Aug 2003 09:33:49 -0700, Jon Weaver wrote:

<snip>
Yup, go for an electric tile cutter. Floor tile are bloody hard, and despite what the pro tiler told you, they don't cut that easily!

snaps them perfectly every time. You could literally do it with your eyes closed, having never tiled before. Score, snap. There, I've done one already:-) The only time I use a saw is if the offcut is less than half an inch or if you're cutting a rectangle out round a socket (and then only for the shorter of the two cuts). If I were a good tiler I wouldn't even use it for that. Let's not forget that the saw was originally developed for marble. You don't cut tiles with a saw for the same reason you don't cut glass with a saw.

Err, you *do* cut glass with a saw - or something like it (ground) if you need a clean edge. But glass which is scored and snapped usually has the edge protected by putty.
You might as well say use a brace and bit for drilling wood rather than a power drill - diamond cutting wheeled saws weren't a DIY possibility a few years ago.
--
*Atheism is a non-prophet organization.

Hello Dave

Ah. Yes, it would be better there. TBH I tend to buy tiles that have the odd end-finished one included, and use them. Even a neat finish looks grubby if the glaze is a different colour. (Although I have been known to paint with enamel when I did run out of end-coloured ones once... )

You may just have persuaded me. I've had to give back the lovely aluminium cutter I was using, and when I redo my bathroom this winter I'll prolly buy one of yon little whizzy things, rather than buy a cheapie hand cutter.
--
Simon Avery, Dartmoor, UK