Re: Crossing (thin) joists with pipes: reinforce?

On 31 Mar 2004 00:31:40 -0800, in uk.d-i-y snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Lobster) strung together this:

I'm installing a bath which for various reasons has a rather awkward >drainage configuration. I need to get the waste pipe across a room to >the soil stack, and the only way of avoiding a nasty area of boxed-in >piping at ceiling level is to cut holes or notches through about 4 >joists; and I'm quite sure these aren't strong enough as they stand to >cope with this. >

What about chasing the waste in at ceiling level. 1 hidden pipe and no boxing.

Reply to
Lurch

Pumps are perfectly acceptable and are often used in remote bathrooms. As are toilet pumps. I'd strongly consider it, using 22mm pipe or tube.

Reply to
PJ

I think you'll find your BCO may insist on 32mm solvent weld pipe for pumped waste water. I wanted to use flexible plastic pipe to ease the tortuous route needed and got told no way.

Reply to
G&M

In that case can't you just run it above the floor and box it in?

Reply to
chris French

On Thu, 1 Apr 2004 20:50:05 +0100, in uk.d-i-y chris French strung together this:

Apparently there's a door in the middle.

Reply to
Lurch

This sounds a good option. Notches in joists to take a waste pipe will be huge. It's not like notching in a water feed pipe ..

P.

Reply to
Zymurgy

In message , Lurch writes

Is there? it hasn't been mentioned, however, it would explain the conundrum.

Reply to
chris French

But given the need to traverse the joists at right-angles, I'd only have the depth of the lath-and-plaster on the ceiling to bury a 1.5" diameter pipe!

David

Reply to
Lobster

Thanks. Could you point me at any suppliers of these on the web? I must admit I've never seen them (other than Saniflos)

David

Reply to
Lobster

On 2 Apr 2004 04:59:15 -0800, in uk.d-i-y snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Lobster) strung together this:

Sorry, could have explained that a bit better. I was meaning on the wall, in the room below the bathroom, at the top by the ceiling. I've just done something similar today in my downstairs wc.

Reply to
Lurch

You could build what (I think) the Americans call a tray ceiling. Where a cross section looks (Sort of) like

This way the boxing goes all the way around the ceiling, and you can hide all sorts of services in there...

Reply to
Hamie!

I've seen a false floor inserted to solve this problem. Added about 3" to floor level, which was achieved by ramping the entry.

Regards Capitol

Reply to
Capitol