Re: consumer units in the u.k

     snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (alan) writes:

Ring them and ask. They were perfectly happy for me to break their seal on the cut-out (main fuse) in commercial premises in hertfordshire, and they never bothered to come and replace it. They didn't even bother to replace it when they came a few months later to uprate the fuse on another phase in the same cutout.

I have never been asked, but others have. I suspect it depends if the job looks like it has been done to professional standards.

I don't think the guys who deal with the cut-outs and meter tails will do it themselves. If they are concerned, they will ask for an inspection certificate.

--
Andrew Gabriel

Don't bother informing them until afterwards. Break the seal on the cutout fuse and remove it.
I don't believe they can insist that the circuit is tested before reconnecting, as the tests require electrical power. In particular, the earth loop impedence test and the RCD test require AC to be present to work. You should inspect the installation and do insulation resistance and continuity testing before the power is reconnected.
Christian.