Re: consumer units in the u.k

I have recently bought, a rather delapidated old property, it has been

> rewired a few years ago, but id like a new consumer unit with split > load and rcd. my question is if id like to do this myself, obviously i > wont be able to touch the service cut out but do i call out the > electricity board for this? do they charge and come back later to > connect the meter tails?

Ring them and ask. They were perfectly happy for me to break their seal on the cut-out (main fuse) in commercial premises in hertfordshire, and they never bothered to come and replace it. They didn't even bother to replace it when they came a few months later to uprate the fuse on another phase in the same cutout.

Also do i have to prove that it has been tested?

I have never been asked, but others have. I suspect it depends if the job looks like it has been done to professional standards.

or can they do that?

I don't think the guys who deal with the cut-outs and meter tails will do it themselves. If they are concerned, they will ask for an inspection certificate.

and if so what is the usual fee? this > property is in the hertfordshire area.
Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Don't bother informing them until afterwards. Break the seal on the cutout fuse and remove it.

I don't believe they can insist that the circuit is tested before reconnecting, as the tests require electrical power. In particular, the earth loop impedence test and the RCD test require AC to be present to work. You should inspect the installation and do insulation resistance and continuity testing before the power is reconnected.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle