(Re)configurable lighting zones?

I am pondering the idea of creating an open plan kitchen/dining/living area and, as part of the overall lighting strategy, am considering recessed dow nlights.

In order to provide some flexibility I was wondering about ways to create ( re)configurable lighting zones e.g having 'clusters' of lights that I can c ontrol independently as required.

I could of course just run every light back to a small number of configurab le distribution busse with each bus controlled by a single switch however a re there better ways? Surely there are addressable lighting solutions suita ble for the home as opposed to larger/commercial environments?

I don't anticipate needing to make day-to-day changes, it is more just to a llow room changes and to make initial setup easier as the room plan/layout matures.

Any comments/experiences?

Mathew

Reply to
Mathew Newton

There are probably things based on DALI (digital lighting control) or even DMX (used for disco lights etc) but each light or cluster would need a receiver.

On large commercial systems there is a saving in cabling costs and labour charges using a power bus and a control bus to all lights, but for domestic I think it's probably easier to just have each cluster separately switched.

If you want dimming, or pre-set scenes, then Crestron has fairly small controls to start with.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

The way I would do this is bring all the cables back to a central location and cluster the junctions boxes together (or use one large JB full of Wagos or (perhaps nicer) a DIN rail and din rail terminals.

Wire them conventionally (ie hard wire the switches and lights) - but should a change be desired, it's more or a less a rejumpering exercise in the junction boxes with no recabling needed.

Reply to
Tim Watts

area and, as part of the overall lighting strategy, am considering recessed downlights.

te (re)configurable lighting zones e.g having 'clusters' of lights that I c an control independently as required.

urable distribution busse with each bus controlled by a single switch howev er are there better ways? Surely there are addressable lighting solutions s uitable for the home as opposed to larger/commercial environments?

to allow room changes and to make initial setup easier as the room plan/lay out matures.

Click Flow usd a lot behind suspended ceilings

Adam Aglionby

ea and, as part of the overall lighting strategy, am considering recessed d ownlights.

(re)configurable lighting zones e.g having 'clusters' of lights that I can control independently as required.

able distribution busse with each bus controlled by a single switch however are there better ways? Surely there are addressable lighting solutions sui table for the home as opposed to larger/commercial environments?

allow room changes and to make initial setup easier as the room plan/layou t matures.

DMX is one way to go , but it integrates better if your going for the full home automation deal.

LightwaveRF might be worth a look

or internet of thngs WeMo

Adam Aglionby