Re: CONCRETE POST REMOVAL

Steve Barnes presented the following explanation :

> > I need to remove some old garden fence concrete posts. I was wondering > > how efficient a decent SDS drill with rotary stop would be at > > acheiving this. Any ideas please. > > I would be inclined to suggest pulling the posts out as one single > lump, then breaking them up for portability. You will also need an > angle grinder to cut the steel reinforcing in the posts. > > Regards, > Harry (M1BYT) (L) >
I agree with Harry. Keep the posts intact as long as possible. You will need

the length for leverage to get the posts out. A winch cable attached to the top of a post is a good place to start. Or the services of a couple of passing vandals could do the trick :-))

Richard

Reply to
Richard

In article , Terry D writes

This sort of thing is usually only picked up when they try to sell their house, the buyer's solicitor (if any good) should notice it. Or you could dob them in to the planners.

Reply to
Tim Mitchell

Cut the grass and lay some 3x2 slabs on top? If they say anything you were just storing them or weathering them there. ;-)

Mark S.

Reply to
Mark S.

If the post is isolated and there is room for access the best way to get a post out is to lever it out.

  1. Get a stout piece of timber to use as a lever
  2. Lash the lever to the post with strong rope at about 18" above ground level
  3. Set up a fulcrum adjacent to the post. A pile of blocks will do.
  4. Pull the lever which will tighten the rope gripping the post and then lever the post out using the fulcrum
  5. The post should come out reasonably easily

Note the post should be the right size and the fulcrum solidly placed. You may do yourself some damage if the lever snaps or the fulcrum dislodges. Note the idea is to lean on the lever using your weight to do the work. Do not do it the opposite way ie pulling up on the lever it wont work and you will probably wnd up with a bad back.

Reply to
Edrich

In message , Steve Barnes writes

A sledge hammer is much more satisfying

... unless of course, you're trying to convince the SOH that you need a new toy

Reply to
geoff