Re-colouring a wooden TV Stand

I am hoping to buy a new TV stand - but don't really want a metal and glass one. I would rather have one made of wood - or at least wood and glass. My problem is that the TV is between a fire surround and a set of occasional tables which are Cherry Wood. I have seen some oak TV Furniture that I quite like - but SWMBO will not have a different wood.

Is it possible to subtly adjust the colour of the wood?

Regards

John Plant

Reply to
DerbyBoy

More a grain issue.

Stains and coloured varnishes will net you any colour you like that's darker than 'clear varnish'

But its bloody hard to scumble convincing wood grain in..although I have seen painted finishes on models that you would swear were real wood grain.

Cherry is not a very dark wood naturally IIRC.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

It is .. but it's very hard work to actually make Oak, say, look like Cherry, whatever the colour!

I'd suggest looking slightly askew at the issue and check out coffee tables, say, or other furniture made of Cherry and use that as a TV table.

Reply to
Paul - xxx

Agreed cherry is not a particularly dark wood but is can be very variable and manufacturers tend to use stains to obscure this variation. Thus it tends to be quite a bit darker than the raw wood.

Stains will have little effect on already finished oak as the surface will be sealed. Provided it does not have a wax finish, then coloured varnishes will take onto the surface and have the desired effect. I would avoid water based varnishes as it can be very difficult to control the depth of colour. Manufacturers such as liberon have a greater range of colour shades than found in the typical DIY sheds.

The other way would be to take a cherry item as a sample and get the new pieces sprayed to match by a furniture re-finisher. I've just done this with a couple of extra dining chairs to match our existing dining room suite for £30 each chair.

Remove your hat to mail me direct if you want the contact I used who is in the New Forest.

hth

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin