Re: Choosing retailer for mimimum complaints

Mine don't. I had an old S..l..o..w laptop and put Ubuntu on it becuase it was so B***y awful with XP.

It was still B***y awful with Ubuntu. Even after I had someone who knew what they were doing polish it.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

*Any* OS call that is used frequently by an application will affect the speed of the application depending upon how efficiently that routine is implemented and coded. Things such as calls to check whether a keyboard or mouse input has occured, for example.

The swap file is potentially accessed whenever an application performs a memory read or write operation - or even when an application is resumed after other threads have been called.

Reply to
Cynic

Oh yet another Cannon model with an uneconomic to repair fault.

Reply to
Mark

There is a wrinkle in the OEM license, that allows you to "repair" a machine. So a motherboard "failure" can be swapped out for a new one, and chances are that will mean new CPU and RAM to current spec as well.

Reply to
John Rumm

Usually only if you have the Pro version - so Win 7 Professional can be downgraded to Win XP Pro. Its a slightly cumbersome process mind you that requires getting a new key from MS first.

Reply to
John Rumm

no, you don't need to "downgrade" W7 Pro to XP. You run an XP emulator from W7. It works, that's how I have kept my old scanner which has no W7 drivers.

Reply to
charles

I assume that you are running a virtual machine. If this is the case you should still need an XP code to validate your XP virtual machine. If it is not a virtual machine I'd be keen to know how you go about it . I have not had Win7 long and I have not spent much time playing with it (probably because is works so well).

I run my old XP computer in a virtual machine inside my Win7 machine. I have been told that this is not permitted as my Win7 was an upgrade on my XP installation and as such should cancel out my XP installation. If I wanted to keep using my XP installation I should have bought the Win7 Full Installation disk. However I am not planning to lose sleep over it as my XP VM is very rarely used.

Andy

Reply to
Andy

Interesting. My A70 did this too. However, shortly afterwards it stopped taking pictures. Shame it was brilliant when it worked.

Reply to
Mark

My opinion of ebuyer has dropped recently since they refused to delete an unused account.

Reply to
Mark

If you have Windows 7 Pro, you can download a legal copy of the XP virtual machine from Microsoft. It is pre-activated and you can just use it, on that one Windows 7 system.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Excellent. I shall do that tonight. Thanks for that.

Andy

Reply to
Andy

In message , Bob Eager writes

Ta, makes mental note for future.

Reply to
bof

While, Win7 Pro includes "XP Mode" (i.e. MS Virtual PC + XP image) what I said is correct; If you want to run WinXP and not 7, without virtual machines, then there is a formal downgrade process for installing real XP Pro in place of Win 7 Pro, but utilising the Win 7 license.

Whether you need to install XP in place of 7 is debatable - although some corporates will insist on it...

Reply to
John Rumm

Comprehensive review here:

note of the hardware limitations.

Reply to
Fevric J. Glandules

My company still uses XP and a lot of others do. They would have switched to Vista years ago but the technology testing phase was a nightmare and so they shelved it. I suspect that we may move to Win7 with virtual machines for backward compatibility

Andy

Reply to
Andy

My company also chose to use XP over Win7 for a load of new computers recently purchased. The problem is that a lot of extremely expensive simulation software we use is not yet available to run under Win7.

Reply to
Mr. Benn

In message , charles writes

You can do that with win7 pro but not home, although, stop press, I just heard elsewhere of someone just ignoring the warnings and installing it anyway - apparently it works

Else you could install Sun's Virtual box or something

Wow - don't I sound like I have a clue ...

Reply to
geoff

I still use DOS software that is simply not available in a windows form. Thankfully Dosbox runs under Win7.

Andy

Reply to
Andy