Re: Choosing retailer for mimimum complaints

I am referring to apps. I write software and compile for Windows and linux (mostly C++ and Java). The software generally runs faster on linux than windows. Where I write data mining and conversion software with a lot of disk access and memory access linux is measurably faster as it handles disks and memory better (assuming you use a linux disk format and not a windows disk format). In many cases it is a small margin but if I am trwaling through Gbs of data the time saving becomes appreciable. For low-end systems linux is by far the better system. I am involved with a group that 'recycles' old PCs for people who may not be able to afford one otherwise. I have had a modern linux system running on a laptop that only windows 98 would look at. On many of the older systems linux would run smoothly where XP would spend ages swapping data with the virtual disk even in basic office apps.

For the standard office user then there is little difference in speed as generally the slowest thing is the user (but the fact that linux and office are free and linux is far less prone to malware tends to tip towards linux) I play games on both linux and windows and some games actually run faster under WINE on linux than natively on windows.

I am not saying that linux is the absolutely the best OS, it depends upon what you use it for but for a basic office user linux is best suited and cheapest IMO.

I use linux for office, music, web, usenet, email and programming. I use windows for gaming, programming and video (because nothing on linux touches Adobe Premiere yet).

Andy

Reply to
Andy

Linux is a very late arrival to the UNIX market. It's OK, but not marvellous. And very fragmented due to all the different distros ("my distro is better than yours!")

Reply to
Bob Eager

Speaking as someone who once had a job porting a large piece of software between the various proprietary Unixes (SunOS, AIX, Digital Unix, Sinix etc), which was a fairly irritating and pesky thing to do because of the many differences and fragmentation between them, I think you do not know what you're talking about or you're deliberately trying to deceive.

I'll take any Linux over any of them, frankly.

Reply to
Jim

At least until new library or kernel versions change all your APIs, anyway.

Reply to
Huge

I wasn't talking about proprietary. I was talking about *BSD. Far more mature.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Or, not. If it was the 'business edition' of Vista, it would include a downgrade option to XP. No business with any sense would buy a PC with Vista so MS had no choice.

Reply to
djc

You will like windows 7 then, one reboot. Also runs for weeks without rebooting. Applications install quickly too.

Is this going to degenerate into a linux v windows thread even though there is begger all between them as an OS? Its all down to apps, not the OS for most computer users.

Reply to
dennis

which software would that be, I have yet to find any good OSS that only runs on linux.

Reply to
dennis

dennis@home wibbled on Monday 05 July 2010 14:06

Hooray.

__tw@gigan:/home/tw_______________________________________________________________________________________________________ % uptime 14:17:51 up 136 days, 3:16, 1 user, load average: 1.25, 1.31, 1.01

It's low because I had to turn the power off to work on the electrical installation...

A linux (or dare say a *BSD) will come up from installation with a boat load of useful stuff ready to run.

I hope so because that's rubbish.

People will have to pay for an upgrade to 7. Ubuntu et al is free.

Reply to
Tim Watts

"dennis@home" gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Hmm. I have here on my desk a ~4-5yo Dell Latitude D800.

It runs Ubuntu 10.04 very happily indeed. Compiz at full 1920x1200 runs smoothly.

Win7, however, is slow and awkward, and since there are no Win7 drivers (Vista drivers do not work) for the nVidia GeForce FX5650 Go video controller in it, it is not at native resolution. It can sometimes be persuaded to 1600x1200, if it's in a good mood, but more commonly sits at

1280x960.
Reply to
Adrian

__tw@gigan:/home/tw_______________________________________________________________________________________________________

People will pay for win 7 (that's what upsets many linux fanatics). They will pay because it does what they want to do. You and many others choose not to pay but that's your choice and hopefully it does what you want. At least you can adopt the standard linux answer for when an application doesn't do what is wanted and WIY.

Reply to
dennis

It's retail, bought many years ago.

I have not seen any advantages that W7 would have for me that could anywhere near justify its price. Furthermore, when I tried it briefly on my home PC, it could not handle playback of HD video files that XP handles fine.

I've never found an off-the-shelf PC to be cheaper than self-build.

Try taking any build on that site, and try to find somewhere you could buy the component parts from for the same or cheaper.

Reply to
Cynic

You may be right on this I installed it before I installed Win7 which is pretty impressive in all ways except its dislike for changing motherboards which has caused me a few problems.

This was purely because when I tried to install a newer windows OS (even a stripped down XP) it did not like it. Mepis worked great and even Debian worked well. I was not trying the skew the linux win debate. I'm a complete tart and I will go with whatever OS will do the job (and suit the pocket).

I can't recall any newer direct X games that I play. I usualy play strategy/ resource management games. The only FPS I play is CoD which runs under WINE. Sadly C&C Red Alert 2 does not run under wine so I play it on an XP virtual machine. I still play amiga games (under emulator - games like Amberstar) to I am well behind the curve.

Andy

Reply to
Andy

Applications usually make *many* calls to the OS, and lets the OS or OS dependent drivers deal with things such as memory management, file I/O, hardware I/O and several other things. All of which can have a very significant impact on the speed at which the application runs.

Reply to
Cynic

I recently upgraded to Win7 after sticking the disk in and it telling me that my system was suitable. It did install but the my motherboard manufacturer did not support Win7 so it ran the default drivers and evrything was slow. Ubuntu, Debian and Fedora all ran beautifully. I bought another MoBo and fitted it only to discover the Win7 does not like new motherboards (well documented on fora) so I had to re-install. It does call into question by fanatical weekly system backups using Norton and if my machine does die I may have to get a new MoBo and my backups will be useless.

I was able to strip off the data by mounting the images under Ubuntu virtual machine, but it is a little concerning to have images that may be useless.

Andy

Reply to
Andy

You can get Win7 cheap at

About £40 if you qualify (eg have a kid at school, are a student, teacher etc).

I bought 4 versions of win7 and 1 of MS office through this site. Quite impressed.

Andy

Reply to
Andy

Indeed Last one I bought came from here

way could I have bought the bits cheaper

I already had the drives so it was just a matter of swapping them and tweaking the OSystems for the new hardware.

Reply to
AlanG

Tim Watts wrote on Jul 5, 2010:

I might have a go. I'm not optimistic though, without a proper manual I think I'd just be groping around.

Reply to
Mike Lane

Mike Lane wibbled on Monday 05 July 2010 18:26

It depends how deep you have to go. The back came off mine leaving everything in place. The movable LCD screen also came apart without any ping-fukits. I was expecting a loose connector or broken wire (is documented on google as a possible fault) but found a sticky switch instead that told the camera which way the viewer was twisted (or didn't in this case, so camera got confused and blanked out the screen). Fixed switch with a few drops of IPA drizzled in.

If the back drops off happily, I'd start with the cable bunch (ribbon or round assembly of wires) between the LCD and the main board. Look to see if any wires are broken (unlikely unless you have a movable LCD like the G*s). Then I'd unseat the connector at each end and reseat, powering on the camera at each attempt. BTW, take the batteries out when you pull connectors off to avoid bad things happening.

Whether to do it? If the camera is going in the bin, then have a go, even if for the curiousity factor. If you can still make use of it without the LCD then obviously proceed with more caution and stop if it seems to be getting hard. Getting at the rear layer of things is usually fairly easy. Going deeper is when you're likely to endup with a pile of bits.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Can, but don't between linux and win 7. The things that made windows bad were things like FAT, swap file placement, users.

Reply to
dennis