Re: Choosing retailer for mimimum complaints

I think this might affect us all at one time or another. You want to buy an

> item like a fridgfreezer or a washing machine,etc. To make your cash go as > far as possible often the best price is with one of the big national chains > of retailers.

Which you then get price-matched at John Lewis.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Doesn't it occur to you that there may be a vociforous minority out that with a bone to pick? Think how many times you have had a bad experience compared with a goo experience - likely you can't remember the good ones.....?

If you want to learn about how to run an organisation properly there is only one to look at - John Lewis.

Reply to
Woody

It's a no-brainer, it's John Lewis

I have had problems with Comet's extended warranty on a TC - Domestic & General, (of course). Similarly, Comet bad-mouthing JL's warranty offering on TVs.

We've all had the manic over-selling in PCWorld - Currys. What a combination of push and stupid.

And when you go into JL (well at least the one in Bristol), you're treated like an adult. The staff know their products, they don't push, they just sell in the best way by listening to what you want and trying to find their best solution. Their pricing is OK, when you add- in such as their automatic warranties on TVs (only if you pay more than =A3699 in Currys).

I like being treated like a grown-up, by other grown-ups who know what their talking about and are happy! I think that's value. If you want price go to Amazon.

Naffer

Reply to
naffer

Actually I do generally keep a track of good experiences. I've used Ebuyer almost invariably for many years, sometimes paying a small premium simply because the site is relatively easy to use, the goods always arrive within the time specified (and often before), and the one or two problems I've had (in probably 7 or 8 years of using them) have been resolved without quibble.

If I contrast that to something like Amazon, which I don't normally use anymore (I use Pirate Bay instead for that kind of purchase), where almost from the beginning many years ago I was having delivery problems, and damaged/incorrect items, and moreover having to invoke the letter of the law to get any redress.

Reply to
Ste

In message , naffer writes

No, they're not the cheapest; but I keep using them as I've been mightily impressed by their no-quibble, free, courier to your door returns policy, even when the advertised returns time limit has long gone.

Reply to
bof

Never happened to me. The staff may not know much about the products but they only ever ask if you want a warranty once. And they price match + 10%.

I just get Currys to price match + 10% back.

Reply to
dennis

In message , Ste writes

Normally I'm happy to buy from the Amazon. In about four years of purchases only one order has gone awry. Oddly my monthly orders for DVDs always arrive from a Jersey trader, probably a VAT evasion or avoidance finagle, who always send DVDs in individual packet rather than post them in a single package. I confess I don't always worry about the cost.

But something the other day made me clock the price before clicking the Amazon 'OK add to truck' radio button! With the Amazon one doesn't have to enter debit card details because in the words of the long forgotten Hilda Baker, 'they know, you know!' All I was doing was obliging my granddaughter's birthday present wish for a new cellphone. She wanted an HTC Desire. My Nokia is about 12 years old and costs me about 50p per month with my Orange Virgin contract

I'm a little out of touch with cost of new cellphones but catching sight of the Amazon price tag of a whisker under GBP400 froze my click finger quick as boiled asparagus.

GBP400 for a cellphone?

Boy -- am I out of touch.

Reply to
james

the barcode underneath too, as that is your postcode.

Decoding by sight alone is simple ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

A bloke I went to school with is involved with Vertu phones. Fancy a mobile for £23,000?

Andy

Reply to
Andy

Personally I try to avoid most of the big retailers, especially Currys, Comet etc... Most of my experience tells me that they are very poor at sorting faults out and the staff are not knowledgeable.

If you can find a good independent retailer then I would (and do) use them. They can even be cheaper if you haggle.

Reply to
Mark

"naffer" wrote

The last time I tried PC World I finally came out in total disgust.

When I went in I told the first sales person that I wanted a new PC with Windows XP. They spent an hour showing me loads of computers all with Vista installed. When I finally found one that suited I once again said I want it with XP. Oh we can't do that she said.

I then went to a small local independent computer shop, who sold me the same PC for a fair bit less money and installed a genuine copy of Windows XP without extra charge.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

I assume vertu can strip the diamonds from an old one, and re-bling a new one?

Given the rate of change in technology, an "original" Vertu is a crap (but expensive) phone by today's standards.

"The $54,000 diamond-crusted Samsung SPH-E3200"

I wonder what it's worth now?!

BugBear

Reply to
bugbear

That's my experience. I always select the cheapest delivery option and stuff invariably arrives earlier than they say it will. never had to return anything.

At first I was wary as there are some supposed horror stories about eBuyer customer services on the 'net. As always, however, there are two side to every story, and most complaints forums only present one.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

Sounds very much as if it might be a pirate copy of XP.

Reply to
Cynic

not necessarily, if the pc was originally going to have vista on it, then he has now got a copy of vista to sell, probably worth a little more than XP is.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

That's a big "if". It is quite common for small independent computer stores to undercut the chain stores by neglecting to charge (or pay for) the OS.

I always get my replacement PCs with no OS on them at all, and then use the same copy of XP that I have used on all my previous PCs. AFAIAA that is perfectly legal.

Finding an off-the-shelf PC that most closely matches the specification you want, and upgrading it where it does not match is cheaper IME than building the whole thing from scratch.

Here's a good site

Cynic

The only two run-ins that I can recall firstly involved the requirement, many years ago, that you fax them any change of address. I didn't have a fax machine or convenient access to one, and ended up having to shut down one account and start up another (at the suggestion of Ebuyer) - an absurd security policy.

Recently I tried placing an order for my mother, on my account, and using her card. Apparently you can't use a card that doesn't match the account holder's name. My mother's never used a computer in her life, I said, and I don't intend to spend time setting her up an account for a single purchase. No can do, they said politely - again, an absurd security policy. So ultimately, I found a way around by using Google Checkout, which apparently does allow cards with different names, and used that in conjunction with my existing Ebuyer account.

If I contrast this to Dabs which I used the other day for an item that Ebuyer didn't have, the item quickly turned out to be faulty (perhaps not Dabs' fault), but what is more, I ended up being forced to scrutinise their terms and conditions in the course of returning the item, something that I don't ever remember having to do with Ebuyer.

Reply to
Ste

You are lucky that Dabs is in better ownership these days.

The debit card 'security' the previous owners had in place caused my bank account to be completely cleaned out by a crooked member of their staff.

Reply to
Adrian C

"Cynic" wrote

Cynic.

Reply to
DeadMangledPigeon

It depends on whether your copy of XP is retail or OEM. As far as I know, it's not legitimate to transfer OEM licences.

Incidentally, I would recommend an upgrade to Windows 7. I recently installed it on my 7 year old laptop (upgraded from XP SP3), and I found it at least as fast as XP even on that age of hardware (and ReadyBoost allowed me to take the strain off the old ATA hard disk), and unlike Vista the UI improvements are worth having this time. I'm not easy to please, but I honestly cannot find any significant fault with it.

Profit more than wipes out any bulk-saving that systems builders may get on the hardware.

Reply to
Ste