Re: Changing the subject

HETAS ... I had no idea solid fuel stoves were subject to building control.

Can anyone with knowledge of the regulations help me out ... I'm just about to install a wood burner in my workshop, stove, flue pipes and whatnot all safely locked up ready for me to put in ... will I need to faff about with building control if I install it myself (as I planned to). Appears to be a very simple job, for what its worth my workshop is a sodding great big (insulated) shed at the bottom of the garden, not attached to any living accommodation.

Reply to
Chris Wilson

Mmm. I think it would be wise..the flue should be double insulated, expensive and sold as suitable for wood burners. The stove must be on a hearth of a certain size made from non combustible material and not near any combustible material or insulated from it with e.g. masterboard or multiboard.

The stove needs adequate fresh air ventilation. Probably a grille through the wall near it of the hit and miss sort.

I have experienced too many fires from solid fuel in my life to take any chances in these matters. I strongly suggest you look up the regs on this and comply, even if you forget to call the BCO...:-)

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Well I would just get on with it and not leave an internet trail of your activities. Just don't try and make an insurance claim for any fire related problems in the future. A few years back, a 30sq metre non habitable was exempt from BR but I think the rules may have changed.

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Yup, I suppose I'll have to now.

Double insulation, fireproof hearth, ventilation etc should be taken as a given.

Reply to
Chris Wilson

Just remember it could invalidate your buildings insurance if you don't quite apart from costing you your life if you get it wrong. If you are happy to take the consequences then ignore the rules.

Reply to
Peter Crosland

Would a shed be insured? One large enough to warrant a wood burner probably has some kit in it that ought to be insured...

I'd certainly advise about sticking to the regs regarding hearths, sizes, distances, also flue top in relation to any building openings and the roof/adjacent walls etc. Ventilation requirements should be in the makers installation instructions and also kept to.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

.errr..no. Ventilation for a solid fuel stove (if required) must absolutely NOT be hit-and-miss because that allow (encourages) people to shut off required ventilation thus rendering the stove unsafe.

Ventilation requirements are based on the size of the stove, the volume of the room, and other items such as extractor fans.

Install to Building Regs because there are generally good reasons for the regulations. You should be able to check online to see if BR approval is required. More care (obviously) needs to be taken if the 'shed' is generally flammable. Less fire risk if it is a block building with a tin roof.

One area where BR might be overkill with regards to the flue is for a single storey shed. Double wall stainless does reduce condensation near the top of the flue and does provide good insulation inside the building. However if you have a relatively short flue run you might be able to safely install in the traditional manner with much cheaper single wall. This assumes that BR does not apply and that you have also understood and assesed the risk of using single wall flue pipe.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David WE Roberts

One thing I did initially consider is the practicality of putting a water jacket around the flue to capture the waste heat running to a radiator on the other side of the shed but I gave up on the basis of expense, complication and the fact I have a life :-)

Reply to
Chris Wilson

Saw a simple solution to this - tightly coil small bore (looked like 10mm) copper pipe around the flue pipe. A lot easier than constructing a water jacket. IIRC this was just a gravity circulation system running a couple of small radiators.

Reply to
David WE Roberts

Ooo ... a "Plan B" ... now I remember why in years gone by I used to visit this group every day ... I hadn't thought of that, thanks, I'll have a little play. I have to confess though that plumbing is a black hole for me ... I would still need an expansion tank wouldn't I and this would have to be at the highest point of the system?

Reply to
Chris Wilson

Yes - remember this cautionary tale from a coupl of years ago:

(or

David

Reply to
Lobster

Yes you'd need a tank but also bear in mind the radiators will also have to be above the heating coil with the pipe paths always rising/falling for the circulation to happen under gravity.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

That's when it started to get into the "to difficult" catagory the last time :-)

Reply to
Chris Wilson