Re-celling battery drill ?

Is it time to call it a day on the old Bosch 9.6V drill and replace it with the Li-Ion one from Lidls this Thursday, or is it worth going down path of putting new cells in ? (4/5 sub-C)

The drill has done well - must be at least 12 years so it doesn't owe me much.

Has anyone any experience of doing this with the cells on Ebay from HK? And yes I know, they are much cheaper than anyone else's but it could be that someone has had a good experience with them!

Rob

Reply to
robgraham

Can you not get new ones from Bosch? B&D were very good at directing me to their spares people when I needed some for a B&D screwdriver. Worked like new with the new cells!

Paul DS

Reply to
Paul D Smith

I've recelled a B&D screwdriver twice (I think). I was using it on Saturday to help a tradesman repair next door's fence. He commented on how good it was. It's nearly 25 years old - don't make the like they used to.

If it's worth recelling, then you might as well get good quality ones.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Total and utter rubbish. They aren't the capacity claimed and even more to the point can't deliver any current. But to be fair, they don't even suggest they can be used in power tools.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

=A0 London SW

Thanks Dave - good point about the current delivery. I'll think again ! Rob

Reply to
robgraham

I've just looked again after some months and they do appear to say they are designed for power tools - so may be better than the ones I tried. They're a different colour. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Sub C cells are commonly used in the model car racing circles, so can deffo produce plenty of current,

That is of course assuming you get some decent branded ones, that are the real things and the cheap crappy cells with photoshopped labels,

Reply to
Gazz

=A0 London SW

Reply to
robgraham

Indeed. Snag is they can cost far more than a complete new drill. I've seen decent quality tagged ones at over 10 quid each. So even with the likes of Makita, a new battery can be cheaper.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Don't bother. Honestly.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Probably the most cost effective option is to buy any new battery of the same voltage from a known maker and transfer the cells to the old case. If you like searching for special offers.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The cost of decent cells will generally exceed the cost of a new drill or pack.

Do NOT replace nickel cells with lithium. it is potentially dangerous as the charging conditions and cell voltages are so completely different it cannot be done without considerable expertise.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Correct. Not on a 12 year old drill.

I was offered a little used cased DeWalt drill with two lith batteries. It was from the USA and had no charger. I have some Ryobi ONE+ power tools - the batteries fit all the ONE+ tools and all of these can be bought without a battery. The cost of a 240v DeWalt charger is £60. A new bateryless bare

18v Ryobi drill/driver is £60, so not worth buying a DeWalt charger for a drill which may have duff batteries or may not even work. I may as well buy a new Riyobi drill and use my existing batteries. For £20 more Ryobi make an auto gearbox drill.
Reply to
Doctor Drivel

I could check/charge those batteries, using the charger i have for my RC planes batteries, it'll charge just about any battery type, nickel cadmium, NiMH, LI-ion, LI-poly, LI-Fe, lead acid etc,

can do a cycle test to get the capacity data and so on,

but would not be the kind of charger to have in a workshop enviroment, for a start before it will let you charge any battery you must let it test it, after selecting the right connector and plugging the sensors in, then confirm or deny what it thinks it's going to be charging, this is to stop people accidently charging a li-po battery on the ni-cad program, some pretty good pyrotechnics can be the result if you do.

Reply to
Gazz

Bought my Bosch 9.6v in 1986, batteries died in 2001, split the pack apart and recelled it with good branded tagged cells, easy enough to do, the drill is still the best rechargeable drill I have and beats anything my friends and neighbours have. NiCads on Ebay suck big time especially the yellow ones, I bought a dozen AA's, 6 wouldn't hold a charge after one use. Total garbage. JC

Reply to
Archon

I've had good results from this lot

three batteries from them and all are still going strong.

Reply to
grimly4