Re;Causitc Soda

Steve Firth wrote:

>> The Medway Handyman wrote: >> >>> WTF is this 'can be used to make bombs' about? >> >> Stupidity on the part of B&Q. >> >>> I'm sure I bought some in B&Q a short while ago. >> >> It's still widely available, try somewhere like SCATS . >> >> But if the blockage cannot be reached with drain rods, WTF makes you >> think sodium hydroxide will do the trick? > > I rodded from the access hatch in the garden. so I was going 8 metres > towards the WC's. > >> NaOH has to reach the site >> of the blockage and if the liquid is not flowing at all in the drain >> then it will take forever to diffuse more than eight metres. > > The water/poo level drops overnight, so its not a complete blockage. > >> Since you've had a go and can't fix the problem yourself and since >> the caustic solution (sic) is no solution at all, it's time to give >> in an employ someone equipped to do the job properly. > > Or ask advice from someone who doesn't jump to incorrect solutions :-) > > "The bath, shower & wash basins are OK, so my guess is that the > blockage is somewhere between the two WC's, probably at a bend or > join". Dave, >>Have you tried taking one or both of the pans out and rodding from the >>open >>ends into the soil pipe?

Might have to in the end, but its going to be messy :-)

>BTW, there are specific drain cleaners that can be bought from a half-way

decent builders merchants - but in this case, they will probably be next to useless, especially if the partial blockage is something rather solid and caught on a bend - or even rags, paper or sanitary towels snagged on a rough joint somewhere along the sewer (the ubiquitous toy dropped in pan by nipper can be excluded in this case). :-)

It can (I hope). Thats why I went for the caustic solution, it does dissolve paper & stuff.

>Also, if the water level drops, then there is a good probability that the

solids are just backing up somewhere and will ultimately fill the pipe.

Thats why I want to get it cleared asap.

>If all else fails, hire a drain jetting unit.

I do have one, but its on loan to a mate at the moment. Well, pressure washer with a drain cleaning attachment, but quite effective.

Cheers

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Dave,

Agreed Dave, but take it from one whose been involved in more than his fair share of this sort of thing, that may be the easiest way of curing it - just have a few plastic bags handy to drop the pans into if you remove them (common practice down our way with something like this [we have even sorted the beggars out by partially dismantling the soil stack and rodding [and jetting] down that way]) along with some plastic 'dust sheets' for the floor.

We'd try anything rather than dig down for the beggars - especially after having a few of the holes fill up with sewerage after you break into the sewer when you misjudge where the blockages are. LOL

I must admit, I'm that's one part of the old job I don't miss.

Tanner-'op

Reply to
Tanner-'op

I reckon you are probably right, just that I don't fancy the mess :-) Thankfully both rooms have tiled floors so at least clean up would be easy. I suppose I could use my wet/dry vac to help.

That sounds like fun - not!

The inspection hatch is only about 2' from the house wall, no sign of any boxed in soil pipe indoors.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Heck, the poo must get to the sewer by magic.

Reply to
Steve Firth

I find a garden hose on full blast from outside is often more effective than rods. FWIW I saw caustic in my local B&Q a couple of weeks ago but IME it's seriously overrated as a drain unblocker. It converts oils and fats to soap (usually with an increase in volume). Possibly useful if you run a Chinese takeaway.

Reply to
stuart noble

Likewise, and it also works quite well as a drain rod.

Oh. I didn't realise they don't buy any soap;-)

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel