Re: Buying a router - DeWalt DW621 vs...

Firstly, thanks to everyone for replying to my query a while back about

> double glazing - I'm kind of a lurker here but I really appreciate folk on > this group taking the time to help out. > > Anyway, I currently have a cheapo Power Devil router that has more than paid > for itself many times over, and although I can't complain for £30, I have > decided to take the plunge (groan) and get a decent one. Criteria: > > * Up to about £200 > * Must have fine height adjustment > * Decent parallel guide preferable > > I've almost decided to stay with a 1/4" - having just seen some 1/2" ones > they just look too darn big for handheld use. 'Use' being general woodwork, > some furniture making, joint cutting etc. Am I going to lose out by not > having 1/2"? Are they as cumbersome as they look? What kind of work > necessitates a 1/2" machine? > > For 1/4" machines, I've sort of got it down to the following shortlist: > > * DeWalt DW621 > * Bosch GOF900CE > * Makita RP1110C > * Metabo OfE1229 > > I'm assuming that all of these are pretty good, however, I was wondering if > anyone has any good or bad experience with any of them? Or any others to > recommend? > > Also, having looked around the US sites, 'fixed' routers seem to be as > popular as plunge ones. Looks like they can be height adjusted, but not > plunged via a sprung column mechanism like the ones we're used to. Eg: > >
> I'm not sure if they would be better, perhaps not, but just out of interest, > anybody got any idea why we don't get them here? > > MTIA, Matthew >

I have a DW621 and it's a nice piece of kit.

Speed control is good, decent plunge action (excepting the caveat below) and has plenty of power for a 1/4" router. The dust extraction is excellent when hooked up to a vacuum cleaner (I use a Henry) or dust extractor. Height adjustment and fine adjustment is good.

The plunge caveat is that it sticks if you attempt to plunge using the on/off handle - is very smooth if you plunge with the plunge-lock handle. They may have sorted this particular problem out - play about with one in the shop.

One other bugbear that I have with this is that it is not possible to buy the 1/2" collet in europe. US models come with 1/4" and 1/2" collets, it is possible to get them but only from DW service centres and I haven't found one of these that will ship from web orders. According to DW this is down to their CE rating certificate for the product.

-- Richard Sampson

RichardS

There's an authorised spares company (can't remember the name) in Isleworth or Brentford or somewhere like that that will ship from phone orders. If you call DW in Slough they will give you the details.

Also, a lot of parts, especially collets, are compatible with Trend and vice versa - The T9 and DW625 have these in common.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

thahks Andy. Brentford/Isleworth is just down the road (we're thankfully just out of range of odours from the mogden lane treatment centre here...), I was meaning DW service centres in the US. Don't think that the UK can get hold of them - they're not sold in the EU for the 621.

Will have a look at the trend ones though to see if they are compatible. I'd rather build up a collection of 1/2" cutters than 1/4" ones, if nothing else for the strength of the shaft and so I can use them without changing collets if I ever decide to get a 1/2" router to sling in a table.

-- Richard Sampson

RichardS

Ah, OK.

In that case try

will certainly ship U.S. DW spares to the UK - I've done it.

Type DW621 into the search and you will get a complete parts list and exploded view.

However, you might want to add some other things to make the shipping cost worth it.

I agree. I tend to use 1/4" cutters in my small Trend T5 and 1/2" in the DW625, although I do have a 1/4" collet for the DW625.