Re: Bottom of a drilled hole in metal

Lack of rigidity in the feed of the drill can also cause it to run away and get worse. Sometime reducing the cutting angle of the drill by applying a grinding wheel to the inner edge of the flute will reduce the grabbing action of the drill.

Doesn't answer the question but this is interesting :

DerbyBorn

The problem I've had with those is that they don't last all that long.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

I?m still on my first one, so I can?t say how long they last, but I?ve had it three years so far.

Reply to
Jon Fairbairn

I inherited mine from my father, and he died in 1994.

*HOWEVER* I have only ever used it on wood; it never occurred to me it might cope with metal too. (Maybe the answer is "it doesn't".)
Reply to
Martin Bonner

"Recommended for use on alloyed and non-alloyed steel, high quality steel plate and soft and hard woods ..."

Reply to
Terry Casey

They can be resharpened more easily than twist bits.

Reply to
Mr Fuxit