Re: Be glad for part P

snip

> Imagine Jon, someone saying "oo, you're into 'electrics'" then asking you > to fix the TV/put a plug on/set up their home cinema/rewire the entire > house.

Imagine having studied for years and years to achieve some qualification in Electronic Engineering (employed in Radar displays et. al ) and visiting home to hear your mother telling her next door neighbour;- "Oh, Brian will put in a plug(sic) in your washhouse for your new washing machine- he's an electrician!" What do you do? You get out the Rawlplug star drill and start bashing - it was 1964 and life is to too short to try and explain.

Reply to
Brian Sharrock

[10 lines snipped]

[15 lines snipped]

"My computer's broken... Could you have a look?"

"Sure. I charge £65/hr."

"Blimey, that's a bit steep. Could you do a discount rate for family?"

"That *is* the discount rate for family. BTW, what do you do for a living?"

"I'm an accountant"

"Excellent. Can you come round and do my tax return?"

Reply to
Huge

Quite. (You're selling yourself too cheaply, Huge :-) )

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

Bingo... should shut most people up when asking for such "favours".

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Alternative ending:

"That *is* the discount rate for family. BTW, what do you do for a living?"

"I work for the Inland Revenue"

"Did I say £65/hr? Only joking - here, let me fix it. I'll even throw in a free mouse for you..."

Reply to
Ric

Humm... We've got two doctors living either side of us. DO NOT even think about getting any advice from them for free, or outside surgery hours!.

Same with the accountant across the road;((

Reply to
tony sayer

Alternative ending:

"I work for the Inland Revenue"

[Thud!}
Reply to
Huge

Nah. For that they'll get the keylogger.

"Can you do my Tax Return?" "No" "Does your missus know about

" "erk, where's my pen..."

Reply to
Tim

Even worse was at one place I worked as an electronics R&D engineer, the Health & Safety moron tried to tell me I wasn't qualified to change a mains plug.

Reply to
G&M

en emeritus professor of physics from the University of New Mexico has been told he can't carry on teaching at the school he's been at for 2 years because he doesn't have the right bit of paper to say he's got the equivalent of a grade C in GCSE maths.

Sometimes I think it's only the paperwork that matters, not the actual job behind it.

Reply to
James Hart

My brother had a somewhat more annoying experience - at the time was a senior A&E Registrar in Edinburgh Royal. One weekend while visiting our parents a neighbours child was in the garden and fell quite badly. He picked her up and prodded, pulled, poked and listened before saying she was fine (and curing her by handing her an ice cream) . At this point Mother said to neighbour "Don't you think you had better pop her down to the cottage hospital and let a proper doctor take a look at her".

Reply to
Peter Parry

Laughed my butt off - so so true.

At 7pm last night I drove 20 miles to a 'sort-of friend's' flat to take a look at his Win98 piece of junk.

Got home at 3am FFS.

"How much can I give you?" he asks, only to hint that my "Call it 100 quid and owe me one" was akin to me ripping him off.

Hell, I never seem to learn.

The words I really hate are "I really owe you one - I'll buy you a beer some time", which translates to "I'll never give you a damn thing".

Thanks for the laugh and now knowing I am not alone.

Rob

Replace 'spam' with 'org' to reply

Reply to
Kalico

In message , James Hart writes

Of course. If you're not competent to decide whether to hire someone, what can you do but look at the bits of paper?

Having said that, I suspect in this case it was a matter of who he was i.e. American. Racism against Americans appears to be perfectly legal in this country, and almost universal among 'liberals'.

Reply to
Joe

Better way is to get the favour returned in labour - bit of gardening, painting, etc. Works well between friends.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Did Albert Einstein have that qualification?

Reply to
Paul C. Dickie

Here at Stone's Big Boys Toys, we are locally owned and operated and provide products to make your outdoor living easier and more enjoyable. We offer experience, fair prices, and a friendly atmosphere. We're big enough to cover the broad range of equipment needs you may have, yet small enough to greet you on a first-name basis. We offer quality Arctic Cat machines and products. Our goal at Stone's Big Boys Toys is to provide quality products and service at an affordable price. Call or stop in today and see what we can do for you; you'll be glad you did (source:

did you suppose would be on that site -- and *why*?

Reply to
Paul C. Dickie