Re: bbc2 series - homes, interiors and style

Page 1 of 2
"John Jardine" wrote | Actually, Endomol are looking for
who isn't :-)
| fit and attractive spoilt kiddies, (preferably blonde) who | have wealthy husbands and a lot of free time on their | unspoilt, lily white hands.
Owain
heh...let's hope nobody takes..
'please email or call [email] snipped-for-privacy@endemoluk.com[/email] on 0208 222 4757 for a friendly chat.'
...and posts it to alt.fetish :-0
writes

The latest "419" scam seems to have a God-bothering slant:
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=- Cut Here =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

My reply was simply "Isaiah 36, v12."
--
< Paul >

In the current climate it could be a very popular series. How many drabe shades of grey can you paint this bunker?
BTW, anyone else notice that for the last 18 months all these shows have been telling people to paint everything beige/cream and now, only this week, one show that had preached this message was saying how awful everything painted, um, beige/cream is!

people's homes and turns them into 3 star hotel rooms. Beige walls, anonymous pictures, no evidence of individuality. I find it depressing that people looking at houses can't see possibilities without being presented with what is a bland canvas.
I would love a program following up these house buyers a couple of years down the line. I bet that 3 star hotel room look is gone in most of them.
Peter
--
Peter Ashby

That is what sells, as the progs prove. I can see potential of any house. I can visualise what a awful looking room looks like when decorated properly. Most can't.
What is truly depressing nowadays is that if you DON'T paint your house all beige, chuck out most of your furniture and replace it with a beige sofa no one will want to buy your house.
Instead of people going into a house, using their own imaginations and thinking what potential it has they now expect to see showroom conditions even in a 100 plus year old house.

The property market is not bursting.
People who don't understand economics are the only ones saying the housing market is not going to go bust. People think low interest rates means that house prices will not crash - this shows a lack of understanding. Crashes, anyhow, in housing happen suddenly and violently. Houses in Japan are now worth about 90% less than 10 years ago and they have effective 0% interest rates. In 1911 UK house prices fell 92% in one year.
The Economist mag had a 16 page article a few weeks back saying they think we will be lucky to get away with a 25% - 30% crash here in the UK. It said to roll up the Economist and hit anyone over the head with it who says different.
Anyhow, this is a DIY forum.
J.

On Fri, 4 Jul 2003 02:09:24 +0100, "John Smith"

Japan does not have 0% interest rates, with deflation of 3%, then even 0% interest rates cost 3% in real terms. Just like South Africa's 10% interest rates looks extremely scary, but is actually more servicable than our rates, once you take into account relatively inflation rates.
A crash is of course possible, even likely, I don't disagree with that.

No, it said prices had to fall by 20% to meet the long term average, and it expected such an overshoot

90% _less_

The economist has a libertarian bias, not a conservative one.
Jim.

Please!!

Legalisation of drugs is not a Conservative issue... yet is an Economist one.
Jim.

Ever heard of stealth? A tactic the Tories have used for centuries, otherwise how could such a party, which is primarily concerned at keeping a certain layer of society well heeled and in control, exist?

Hey? Please explain... You're saying that the economist doesn't want legalisation of drugs, but they're trying to appeal to the segment of the market that does and then ram Conservative propaganda down their throats?
I can't help imagining that newspapers other than the economist would be more appropriate for this, as those people who read the economist if denied a libertarian voice are likely to vote on the free trade aspect of libertarianism more than anything else, so I can't see the need for the propaganda.
Jim.
Jim Ley wrote:

No Jim..Nooooooo.....
Don't get IMM started - you have *no idea* what you're getting into.
Just google for IMM or International Man of Mystery.
--
Grunff

I'm going to keep and treasure this one, Adam ... "!=" means "not equal to". Given your love for quoting references, we can all now cite a usenet post in which you stated unambiguously that the following are *not* characteristics of conservatism:
* Keeping privilege for a certain class of people * Keeping an outdated near Medieval system * Petty snobbery actively promoted * Sharp differences between rich and poor
Thank you, thank you for starting we weekend off with a good laugh :-) :-)
Julian
--
Julian Fowler
(Huge) wrote:

I know. Mistake as I cut and pasted in a hurry. So it is:
Keeping privilege for a certain class of people = Conservative. Keeping an outdated near Medieval system = Conservative. Petty snobbery actively promoted = Conservative. Sharp differences between rich and poor = Conservative.

This one is absolutely priceless!
"!=" means "not equal to"
I know it's always possible that you might have experienced a revelation, but is this what you intended to say?
.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
On Fri, 4 Jul 2003 02:09:24 +0100, "John Smith"

See http://tinyurl.com/g0uw - which suggests that the market may be cooling off, but with no sign of "going bust".

Low interest rates, coupled with low wage inflation, mean that people cannot "grow into" mortgages that they can't really afford.

I think that you mean that they are worth 90% of that they were worth 10 years ago. Even in a well-ordered society like Japan, I suspect that a 90% fall (i.e., a house purchased for equiv of 200K in 1993 now being worth 20K) would be the cause a popular revolution!

... but in a deflationary economy.

Reference? Or, again, do you mean that prices in 1912 were 92% of those in 1911?

Which will primarily affect those who (a) buy houses as part of a make-money-quick approach to life, rather than as somewhere to live over a substantial period of time, and (b) live in the SE of England. Only those areas that have had hyper-price inflation on property are likely to see equivalent falls. The rest of us will quietly smug when this happens :-)
Julian
--
Julian Fowler