Re: Bathroom vent through roof

No way? Guessing the outside wall must be all window except above the bath. If so think about SELV fan above bath. Alternatively is it possible to duct to the soffit?

Alan

Reply to
Alan James

Get one of those lead 'tiles' with a rubber grommet bonded to it used to take a soil pipe stack vent through the roof (sorry I don't recall the name- cost me £17). Also a short length of soil pipe (maybe 18") and a 'mushroom' cap. Couple the fan to the pipe with a length of the flexible house designed for the job, seal with gaffer tape and a giant jubilee clip.

Regards

Brian

-- 73 Brian G8OSN

and

for FREE training material for the UK Foundation and Intermediate Licences

Reply to
Brian Reay

Hi Philip,

If the vent is being powered with a fan, then don't touch the tiled roof at all. You bungalow will have eaves, the eaves will have soffit boards under them, so go out through the ceiling of the bathroom and then bend the pipework round and down out through the nearest eaves. Fix a fly screen covered grille to the soffit board at the end and attach your pipe. As long as the fan is running, the air will be pushed along the pipe and out the end.

Try using the flexy spring pipe stuff that's covered with the polythene. It's the same diameter as the rigid grey pipe and will be easier to work with.

a thought. :-))

Reply to
BigWallop

Thanks for all the suggestions. OK on getting out via a soffit. I looked at that a few days ago but cant get at the soffit board from inside. The soffit is fairly low down the wall and inside the wall is built up to the tile felting between each sloping roof timber. I removed a section of this brickwork but all I could see then was a heavy timber running on top of the wall leaving no space to get any further down to the soffit. The "lead tile" idea is looking favourite so far :)

Regards Philip

Reply to
Philip Thompson

Marley do a range of ventilator exhausts disguised to look like regular roof tiles. I've just had one installed in my period cottage, and it is almost invisible from the outside.

MH

In message , Philip Thompson writes

Yep I had a problem with getting out through our soffits, so I went through the roof.

It's called a 'weathering slate' - and the malleable metal sheet is normally Aluminium rather than lead now AFAIK . Works fine.

I think you can also get special vents to match with certain roof tiles so that it hardly notices.

Reply to
chris French

What you need if a "weathering slate" as described above and a a cowl to fit he short section of soil pipe to ues as a duct.You can also get a condensation trap to fit to the duct and run an overflow pipe to the eaves,but with such a short duct length don't think you need to do this.

Reply to
richard