Re: Bathroom floors - using lino?

>I currently have a piece of carpet in my bathroom which is not ideal as my

>>lodgers seem to be functionally inept at using a shower and seem to flood >>the floor now and then. I was considering a laminate floor in there and >>then varnishing it to protect it from the water, but the depth of the >>laminate is likely to cause me problems - or at least cutting around the >>basin and toilet bases. This then lead me to thinking about a lino based >>floor... >> >>However never having done anything with lino in the past I am not sure what >>the process is. Do you just unroll it and it stick it down? I have tongue >>& groove chipboard. >> >>Any ideas or thoughts are welcome (as long as they are on topic!!)

Vinyl floor on a roll is fairly cheap and effective. But I've found it to be a bitch to fit. Vinyl tiles are easier to fit. If the lodger habitually floods the floor, I'd be inclined to use the type that require separate adhesive rather than self-adhesive ones.

One thing I once did was sand down the floorboards, seal the cracks, and pour on a thick coat of polyester resin with a drop of liquid wax mixed in to prevent a sticky finish. That produced a very hard-wearing, impervious floor. It also looked good (better than any lino or vinyl IMO).

Frank

Reply to
Frank W

Laminate that is subject to "dribbles" will rapidly warp if it is not glued even the clicklock type. Vinyl is inexpensive and hygenic. It isn't stuck down but must be on a flat surface. If uneven or gaps between floorboards then you may have to lay hardboard first. I recently fitted some. I went to the trouble of removing the toilet and washbasin pedestal so I had an easy rectanglular shape to lay the vinyl, the only tricky bit being round the doorway.

Reply to
BillR

Certainly I think that I would remove the toilet and basin pedestals during the floor laying process as it would make life easier - just a few pipes to cut around instead. I then just have to consider the larger gap under the door.... maybe too many smells to pass into the house!!!

Floor is flat, so that should not be an issue.

Cheers, Matt

Reply to
Matthew Ames (news)

Lino can be harder than carpet to cut accurately as there is no pile to hide tiny mistakes. But u could use the old carpet as a template on the new lino, and Bob's your uncle.

Reply to
SC

"Matthew Ames (news)" wrote | I currently have a piece of carpet in my bathroom which is not ideal as my | lodgers seem to be functionally inept at using a shower and seem to flood | the floor now and then.

The shower probably isn't the worst of it :-)

| However never having done anything with lino in the past I am not sure what | the process is. Do you just unroll it and it stick it down? I have tongue | & groove chipboard. | Any ideas or thoughts are welcome (as long as they are on topic!!)

Hardboard the floor and fill/smooth any joints.

Leave vinyl in warm room to aclimatise.

If you have a small bathroom and big flat garage floor, make a newspaper template of the bathroom and cut the vinyl to shape slightly oversize. Then lay it into the bathroom and make the final cuts. Measure thrice, cut nice. Stickytape round the edges.

Owain

Reply to
Owain