Re: Barrow wheel

Huge coughed up some electrons that declared:

Where can I buy a wheel for my barrow? Seems a shame to have to buy > a whole new barrow just because the wheel is knackered. > > (The wheels that Screwfix sell are too small.) >

Any decend sized farmers' shop (the sort with 3 demonstration tractors out front) - farmers are tight and don't waste stuff, unlike the rest of the population.

Our one has several hanging up - as well as tubes, which I had to purchase one of the other day...

Cheers

Tim

Reply to
Tim S

I was going to say Machinemart and some of the Warehouse B&Q's have some large wheels as well. Depends a bit on what the existing barrow wheel is like.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I was amazed the other day at how expensive barrows are; seemed like a lot for a wheel (which are cheap at farmers shops, at least here), some metal tubing, and a small bathtub perched on top ;-)

I've not looked at the prices of replacement barrow bodies yet - maybe it's far more economical to buy all the parts separately and build my own (except that I haven't welded in a few years).

cheers

J.

Reply to
Jules

tractors out

The new batch of (French made) barrows that builders merchants all seem to sell at the moment are a pain in the neck. The shape is wrong - too wide and shallow - put a few blocks in and the balance is wrong - they can even tip backwards if left unheld, ending up resting on their handles. Fill 'em up with concrete and it slops everywhere due to shallowness.

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Andrew Mawson coughed up some electrons that declared:

I got my galvanised barrow from Wickes. Wheel mounts are a bit weak, though it has faired well enough with lots of abuse and it's just the right shape for concrete :)

Reply to
Tim S

My barrow has lasted for forty years. Over that time it has had three new wheels, four new bodies and two new tube frames. ;-)

(Almost worthy of Ronnie Barker that one)

Reply to
David in Normandy

A bit like the Eifel tower then.. none of that is the original AIUI.

Reply to
dennis

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "dennis@home" saying something like:

Sounds like utter c*ck. You'll be telling us next the Forth Rail Bridge is all non-original, and that's in a harsher environment.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

It's all done with mirrors these days, Dennis - the real modern one's only three feet tall.

Reply to
Jules

:-)

That's the thing, I wouldn't mind paying a lot for a barrow if I thought I'd get forty years out of it. But I just know it'd probably need a new one of everything (as evidenced by the stack of barrow wheels and barrow bodies in the local DIY shed, actually) several times along the way.

Reply to
Jules

Got this name of the back of a lorry tonight.Said they were the UK`s largest wheelbarrow manufacturers.Think they mean UK`s largest manufacturer of wheelbarrows.Does bad grammar annoy everyone over sixty?

mark

There is some info on the official site..

"The elevator and staircases - construction or replacement of - and the elevator platform could also fall into this same category of developments, except in cases where they have become integrated parts of the structure."

"Much less visible are the operations that have modified the original Tower's structure. Indeed, at different periods in time, even the skeleton structure evolved, either little by little as the necessity arose or to reinforce certain structural members that were damaged by various causes. "

AIUI it has all been replaced at some point during the 120 years it has been up.

Reply to
dennis

That's perfectly good grammar. If they were the UK's largest-wheelbarrow manufacturers, I'm sure they'd have said just that.

Reply to
Mike Barnes

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "dennis@home" saying something like:

Reading that, you understand it wrongly.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Talking bollox again Dennis. No mention of that whatsoever on the official site, which goes into such detail as the weight of paint, the number of light bulbs etc.

You made it up again you wanker.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

No it`s not good grammer.Largest is an adjective and is applied to wheelbarrow as they`ve written it.

Reply to
mark

Indeed, its good _grammar_.

No, it isn't. Nor is the use of the `back tick` considered good spelling as an apostrophe.

Meaning, if not implicit and obvious from the context, may be assured with a different grammatical construct, but that doesn't make the original bad grammar, merely ambiguous.

A Mean Green Grass Machine would not normally be interpreted as qualities of the grass, rather than the mower.

The problem occurs wherever a noun is used in an (adjectival? clause?) sense.

Traditionally the adjectival part is bound, and possibly concatenated with the final noun, as in wheelbarrow (A wheeled barrow=> a wheel barrow => a wheelbarrow) Ergo 'the worlds largest wheelbarrow manufacturer' means the worlds largest (wheelbarrowmanufacturer). In german it would all be one word anyway.

It doesn't mean the manufacturer of the largest wheel ever fitted to a barrow ;-)

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

[cough]

True.