Re: B&Q self checkout machines

Make sure your not using it upside down ! (no matter which side the LOGO / Design is on, alternatively try another from a different source. I paid for a Gt Ormond Stone which only worked one way up the one I have now works all ways up !

Derek

Reply to
Derek Geldard

Now I'm sad.

Derek

Reply to
Derek Geldard

The goddam things are a profound waste of time, money, and plastic cards anyway.

Ever worked out the return on using a Nectar card in a supermarket ? On £7.50 's worth of shopping it's a small fraction of bugger all. Then total up the delay involved in using it , added to the delay to you in everybody in the queue in front of you using theirs, then you realise you are selling your life for about 15 p per hour.

Better to buy one small item less and keep control your life for yourself.

Derek

Reply to
Derek Geldard

I find that a 20 Euro cent coin works a treat, and a one Euro works at a push (and a pull to get the thing out again).

Alternatively, the ones that take two children often don't require money. (Just don't take them from my local supermarkets because I use them!)

Reply to
Piers Finlayson

And since when has the verb 'to be' taken an adjective?

Owain

Reply to
Owain

There's one retailer in the UK who already uses that question, and that is Lakeland, who sell all kinds of kitchen gadgets you never knew existed, and never knew you needed.

Apart from that question, Lakeland is a good retailer. I go about once a year just to see what they believe I need in my kitchen.

Reply to
Bruce

Like, forever, Grandad. It's like to totally be anyway dood, sheesh!

Reply to
Steve Firth

What's great is that the staff and the customers, at least those of them which are still compos-mentis very quickly learn the quirks of the terminal software.

Limes ? are they sold "each", by the pack, or "by weight",

Why is there no picture of a Lime ?

B&Q Diamond card - how to get your discount?

Enter it as a voucher ? Nooooooo

It's got a hidden menu page all of it's own.

Derek

Reply to
Derek Geldard

Leeds Uni != Leeds Met

Prog rock?

Reply to
Clive George

It's close, and getting closer in more than one sense.

Soon there'll be 2 more Uni's in Leeds.

Trinity and all Saints an ex Roman Catholic Teacher Training College, (They had to have one class per week that wasn't RE ! ).

And Thomas Danby (Who he?) College of catering otherwise known as "The Pud School"

I got married in '72, and from then on it was wall to wall Val Doonican and Cliff Richards for me.

Derek

Reply to
Derek Geldard

Though they do have dual pricing which means it's worth getting a card in many, even for a very brief visit. The Tesco one pays off in the future, the US ones pay off at the time.

Reply to
Clive George

If you have to take the small change out of the car before going to a supermarket, I'd move to a less pikey area.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Not at most supermarkets. But plenty places do charge for parking so I find it easier to keep some change in the car expressly for this. Which also means I'll have a pound coin handy for trolleys if needed.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I don't know what the discount is for cardholders but there was a programme on while I was living there at the time that they started bringing in the scheme. One of the consumer organisations had monitored prices in the lead up to the introduction and reported that there was an increase in prices in the three months or so before the introduction of the scheme which was matched by the savings cardholders received.

Wonder when Tesco will start doing the same.

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew May

That is the biggest reason I hate them. I often think I would put my fist through one, if I had to use one. The only time I have used one, an assistant did everything for me, except entering my pin number :-)

I watched our daughter use one in Portsmouth Tesco and it took her ten minutes, two assistants and two tills to get her goods.

Titless tills, they are doomed, or should that be damned?

Dave

Reply to
Dave

:-) I'll have to remember that one :-)

Dave

Reply to
Dave

I have a feeling the reason for his answer is different to what you think it might be. Think less about what's being taking in the car, and more about how he's getting there in the first place.

'Course I could be wrong, but it's our answer to the same question.

Reply to
Clive George

In SW London, certainly. In SE England, most of the time.

But that's less likely to be the case in many other regions of the UK, and that's why the two of you have different opinions.

Reply to
Bruce

In Aus, self adhesive tape is made by Durex...

Reply to
John Rumm

So the trick is, to be really helpful and swap your trolly for a £1 coin with someone waiting to get one! ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm