Re: Any DIY Loudspeaker Enclosure makers in this NG?

I was ever so tempted once to install a 6x3 inch Hong Kong paper cone special into a limp hardboard enclosure, cover it with rexine and sell it as a "studio monitor" because the place where my kid works has exactly such a device as one of their studio monitors.

Reply to
Steve Firth

It's an ongoing quest - to find an 'average quality monitor' ie, something that approaches the most common domestic 'sound' - more so some time ago when most TVs had dreadful sound. Aurotone had the near monopoly, but others used anything they could find. You use it to make sure too much of your wonderful balance on vast expensive speakers doesn't disappear when listened to on something more ordinary.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

While we're on the subject, any of you DIY loudspeaker makers/restorers out there got a hot tip for *removing* veneer?

I have some real ex-studio monitors (LS3/7 for the cognoscenti), that sound great but are very rough externally, including an ink stain on top, and tears to the veneer where the handles fit. They were never intended for domestic use, but with a bit of care (and new grilles designed to fit, I think they'll brush-up well.

It probably means replacing the veneer all round, which in turn means removing the old. Given that it's torn rather than de-laminated where one of the handles was roughly removed, I can only conclude it's well stuck on.

Should I risk steaming it off, or scraping, or what? Any thoughts appreciated.

Regards,

Simonm. PS: If this works, the 3/5As are next for the 'treatment!

Reply to
SpamTrapSeeSig

Strictly speaking, the '3' series are outside broadcast devices, or to be used where space is limited. Studio monitors are designated '5'. ;-)

I'd be inclined just to make good the edges with fibreglass etc and veneer over the top of the lot. I don't think the 3/7 is a design where cabinet resonances were taken into account like the Spendor.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

Is that f off or off topic? ;-)

Yes, they were used in studios for a while until the 5/8 came along. And I *think* one series was made by design dept and the other by research, so there was some competition/overlap. The 5/1 was a long running design (in TV) until stereo came along, and the 5/5 was the designated replacement. Unfortunately, us deaf TV types broke them all too easily, and the 3/7 was used for a short time until the

5/8 became available.

I agree about the 5/8s, but they tend to block out the light in a domestic environment. So I've just got to switch on the lights. ;-)

Have you tried 'panel wipe'? It's a solvent you use on car bodywork before painting, and it removes silicone etc. You'll need to find a car paint supplier, and I think the smallest it comes in is 5 litres, but it's pretty useful for all sorts of cleaning.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

In article , Dave Plowman writes

Goodness! Only "off topic" I would hesitate to be so rude to someone I've never even met!

They were used extensively in radio. I did use 5/8s and 5/9s in TV studios - one can only assume TV had bigger budgets. 3/7s can blow tweeters (not as easily as 3/5As though). In my experience 5/8s are the proverbial brick outhouse, and the best sounding of the lot, but, sadly, out of my price range.

Thanks - sounds like an excellent idea.

Regards,

Simonm.

Reply to