Re: Any advice for insulating garden building?

> Have recently had a 16x10' timber framed summerhouse/art studio put in > the garden and I now want to insulate it so it can be used all year > round (incl. electric heating). The outer skin has tanalised shiplap > over a waterproof membrane and 4mm ply - so already quite good. The > cavity depth is 67mm so I was thinking of using 50mm rock wool (semi > rigid) which would leave a 15mm air gap to reduce condensation build up > (on others recommendation). Rockwool will also give some sound > insulation which is preferable. The inner skin will be T&G matchboard. > > Any recommendations / things to avoid?

Use a vapour barrier on the inside (warm side) of the insulation. This prevents the warmed and therefore moisture (including air breathed out by humans etc.) laden air from permeating out into the insulationg rockwool or fibreglass batts, condensing there and soaking the insulation. A suitable barrier is plastic film. It is also appropriate to vapour barrier around the back of electrical outlet boxes in the outer walls for the same reason. The outer 'waterproof' membrane should be of the type that will prevent the ingress of water but should be of the type that 'breathes' i.e. any moisture/vapour that DOES get into the wall cavity will be able to dissipate out through the outer wall. Our climate is similar but colder and the above is based on our experience here with a) Wood frame housing with finished (plasterboard) inner walls. and b) Wooden sheds which are basically unlined. Terry.

Reply to
Terry

Good advise. Best use Celotex or Kigspan foam insulation. It is expensive but has a higher resistance to heat transfer (R value) than Rockwool per thickness. It can take a soaking and recover, whereas Rockwool may sag and never recover. 50mm of Kingspan will make the world of difference in winter and summer. Well worth it.

Reply to
IMM