Re: Another toolkit question

ah! of course - a 90 degree angle drill! and set of auger bits.

-- Richard Sampson

RichardS

"Martin Angove" wrote | > All equipment will have to be inspected and PAT'd as H&S applies | > to to all Work, even if the Workplace is in someone's house. | Are you sure though that it is *really* neccessary to PAT kit for | domestic use? I've never noticed stickers on the kit of the tradesmen | who've done work for me. I'd have thought that it'd be ok without, at | least for the first 6 months or so.

PAT'ing isn't itself mandated AFAIK but is part of an overall safe system of work. As a tradesperson you have to follow a safe system of work wherever you work.

It's also not necessary for every item to be stickered. A business could have a centralised reminder system for calling in equipment for periodic inspection and testing, which would mean that the date of next test would not have to be on the equipment itself. It would of course have to have an asset number or other unique id.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

In message , Michael McNeil writes

Snippitty, snippity, snip, snip, snip

Waah - good call, I was beginning to wonder if it was another bloody top poster and I'd missed it

Reply to
geoff

and one of those head mounted torch jobbies - for all thoese times where three hands would otherwise be essential!

Reply to
John Rumm

I think the genny may have to wait, but I have been seriously considering a back-of-the-van (when I decide I can afford a van!) installation of an inverter and a leisure battery. If for nothing else then for powering battery chargers and the like (though that seems a waste - perhaps I'll just have to look for tools which can charge directly from 12V).

If I was going to need power off for a while, my favoured option would probably be to rig a temporary dis board on flying leads from the "big switch" I've thoughtfully installed on the ends of the meter tails. It could be built into a nice case and everything, and you could run a few extension leads for freezers, though IME, an unopened freezer will keep stuff frozen for far longer than a working day.

Hwyl!

M.

Reply to
Martin Angove

I've seen 100mm long auger bits. Given that my 150mm wood bits "almost" fit when in the end of the drill, I suspect the augers would be fine.

Hwyl!

M.

Reply to
Martin Angove

Sorry dude, no offence meant but I was trying to make the point that as things stand anybody can set themselves up for PAT testing... and some of my best friends are simian. Regards, Richard

Reply to
Frisket

"Martin Angove" wrote | > A tool that was on my list was a small genny. | > For when the juice if off all day and you gotta use the SDS for some | > hard bricks, or for temp work lights, or just keeping the clients | > freezer running. | I think the genny may have to wait, ... you could run a few | extension leads for freezers, though IME, an unopened freezer will keep | stuff frozen for far longer than a working day.

It's when it gets to 7.27 pm, you've pulled the consumer unit apart and just invented some new swear-words, and Her Customership sidles up and whines "'ere, I am goina be able to watch Corrie, innit?"

Maybe a battery-powered portable telly. It would be something to keep you occupied when you tell Her Customership "I've got to go twenty miles down the road to get a part, it's not on the van" and then park up in a lay-by round the corner with your thermos and sarnies.

Oops, I've been watching too much Rogue Traders :-)

Owain

Reply to
Owain

"Martin Angove" wrote | > Engraving kit to stick your name on | > everything? | Thought of that one this afternoon. Already had in mind pre-printed | labels (nice long-lasting ones) but might consider a labelling machine | too. Properly engraved stuff would look much better, but do you think I | can get away with engraving every switch and socket? ;-)

No, but a nicely-engraved proper custom brass panel behind the telly with all the sockets for aerial in / out and surround sound shake-it-all-about looks so much better than a hodge-bodge of multiple faceplates and dyno tape.

If you are aiming at the kwolity end of the market of course.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

You top posted several pages of a forum post to then post a one line comment about how you considered the other individual to which you were responding had bad netiquette manners.

As a result of that I had to page down several times before I read your comment. Which doesn't exactly go well in your favour, and indeed in my book is sufficiently worse than the original poster to make it noteworthy.

Andrew

Do you need a handyman service? Check out our web site at

Andrew McKay

Assuming you're confused about my 100m augers :-)

Ummm... I have some flat wood bits that are 150mm long. When I stick them in the drill, the drill will almost fit between joists in order to drill holes for cables; I end up drilling at a shallow angle.

I have seen, in a catalogue, an auger which is 100mm long. I was musing that the extra 50mm might allow me to get the whole caboodle between joists and hence drill a straight hole.

This would save having to cut down a wood bit, as was previously suggested.

:-)

Hwyl!

M.

Reply to
Martin Angove

---8 > > * decent battery drill/driver, mostly for screwdriving. Been

I use the 'universal' or 'multipurpose' or whatever they call them drill bits Screwfix do with my (non-hammer) cordless. They're basically sharp masonry drills that go through without hammer action (and you can drill through wood or metal too - useful for fixing stuff to walls in one go).

---8 > > * decent jigsaw, or some other tool to enable me to get under t&g

I use the jig more than the circ, but a woodcutting blade for the angle grinder is on my list (sure there was a thread about this recently - someone said don't get 'chainsaw' type blades, but I haven't been able to find anything)

---8 > >

A handheld cordless vac that worked would be a boon ...

---8 > Decent first aid kit in the van.

I carry plasters, and tweezers (in Swiss Navy Knife) for getting out splinters and extra dioptre reading glasses so I can see while doing it (with the £5 headlight torch if need be)

I have one of those that double as step ladder or extension ladder - reach lofts but not much more, but haven't needed more (yet)

hth

-- John Stumbles

-+

Reply to