Re: An enjoyable evening....

I have a 1960s Stanley #7 and it is a delight to use. It has a Record blade in it which means there is slack in the depth adjustment but I have plans to put a nice thick replacement blade in it.
I'm making the wife a spice rack from 8mm thick stock. I prepare it by ripping it off the edge of offcuts of Wickes 2X4, these are mostly quarters of the tree so the right cut gives me quarter sawn stock. I rip them by hand with a 20" panel cut handsaw and then plane them to size and flat with my #7. Very therapeutic and good for my arm muscles ;-)
Peter
--
Peter Ashby

hand
the
I'm finding that the #6 isn't quite long enough to be an effective jointer, so a #7 might be next on my list. There's a 604 1/2 bedrock on ebay at the moment which is a really nice smoother, but ... the price..... ouch.
Also, as won't have enough space for a table saw for the forseeable future, a large ripsaw will probably be the way to go.
There's a lot to be said for learning the ways of woodworking befor the era of machines and power tools - things might take longer and require the development of more skill and techniques, but the money and space requirement overheads are so much less....
I'm not against power tools, incidentally, will happily use a router/jigsaw/ROS/etc for tasks when it's appropriate, but they somehow don't quite give the same satisfaction.
Just about to spend an hour playing with a Kirschen swan-necked mortise chisel that arrived this morning... :-)
cheers Richard
-- Richard Sampson

Try, http://www.toolbazaar.co.uk/tools.asp That is where I got my #7, along with some very nice old mortise chisels, including an English laminated one. Andy is not far from here and having been I can confirm his assesments of condition are pretty honest. Some tools are collectors condition only but many are still in good working order.

I have neither the space nor the budget at present, though I would like one.

Agreed, and since time is not money for this who cares?

Again agreed, the router table put a bull nose edge on the pieces and a router + jig will be used to cut the shelf housings.

Oooh! do report your impression. I have some of their paring chisels and like them very much. Furniture & Cabinetmaking have just run a chisel assesment and the Kirschens came out top overall.
Peter
--
Peter Ashby
Peter Ashby wrote:

I've visited as well as having things sent too. An interesting place and worth dropping by if you're passing, but check out the lists first.
Nick
RichardS wrote:

I do, thats why my No5 is used for finishing MDF dolls house boxes after cutting etc. I also finally flattened a 12'x3' table top with it a couple of years ago as the finish the power plane left was too rough even with sharp new inserts. My sister in law skipped 5 tool chests full of old, but usable, tools 5 years ago, when she found out how much they are now worth she wasn't happy, atleast I managed to salvage a No3 and some chisels, but the rest............The shame, the shame.
Niel.

..and the wife'll probably like that more that the spice rack ;-) (Just don't tell her in detail exactly how you made the spice rack when you are showing her the muscles ;-0)