Re: Amerada -> PowerGen

Page 2 of 2
Nick Pitfield wrote:

As an Amerada Gas online customer, I got the Powergen letter 2 weeks ago and gave notice to quit immediately and signed with Atlantic last night. Seeing the posts today about Powergen and Atlantic price changes, I went back toUswitch to re-check prices with somewhat puzzling results.
Compring gas only: Atlantic are cheapest with Powergen sixth, Electricity only: Altantic 2nd Powergen 13th but dual fuel: atlantic 1st but powergen third.
Does this mean Power gen are giving extra dualfuel discounts
Bob

I'm an Amerada Online customer (Elec & Gas). I haven't received any letter, as yet. Also, the prices they are charging me haven't changed. Re-tried uswitch.com and they still reckon that the cheapest option is to stay put with Amerada.
Pete

I've not seen anything either, although I am watching this thread carefully.

No need to trawl if one company guarantees the lowest prices.

you take up their cheap land line telephone deal which is also very cheap. I am with them. The bottom line with all three is very cheap indeed. http://tinyurl.com/4nlu
They don't come up on the comparison sites as they are not there. With many of those sites the companies have to pay to be there and pay the site commission on sales via the site too. Telecom Plus refuse to do this. I read they are going to the advertising standards or fair trading people about the sites as they say they show the cheapest deals and Telecom Plus never come up, and Telecom Plus have the cheapest "guaranteed". <<<

On 9 Sep 2003 06:44:55 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@ziplip.com (Obi-Too) wrote:

Energy watch used to do this but now only give comparison sheets at http://www.energywatch.org.uk/supplier_information/comparisons_of_price/full_index.asp ?
They also give links to other comparison sites.
--
Peter Lawrence

Is this the same as the deal offered to transferring Amerada customers ?
Daytona
http://www.thisismoney.com/20030910/nm67591_s.html

I have not received my letter yet but i have just used uswitch to compare and the next two best deals are with Atlantic at 15 worse off. Problem is third best deal is with Powergen being worse off by 30.
It seems like a lot of hassle moving for an extra 15 a year, but i am very p*ssed off that having transferred to Amerada 6+ months ago from Powergen i am now back with them. I'm thinking of moving to Atlantic out of spite.
Both deals with on-line dual fuel accounts.
Does anyone know what is contained in these Powergen letters? Do they require a meter reading when the contract moves over to Powergen after 21 days?

Could anyone scan in a copy of this letter to make available for others?
I too haven't received it yet.
I take it, Powergen are not maintaining existing rates for Amerada customers.
Daniel
Jane Tweedynn wrote:

When ever you change supplier the process is as follows 1 give notice to your existing supplier that you intend to change you do not give them a meter reading or need to tell them who you are moving to.
You have 28 days to sign up with another supplier during which time they have to maintain your original tariff
2 Sign up with your chosen new supplier who will instrruct you how and when to provide a meter reading.
3 The new supplier does the leg work of contacting your old supplier and giving them the reading
4 your old supplier makes up your final bill, send this and then collects payment.
5 new supplier starts collecting payments (if DD) and bases bills on the transfer reading. The whole process may take up to a couple of months.
hth
Bob

Just received my Amerada letter, and have just spent some time on the comparision sites, which have confirmed that (a) Amerada was still by far the cheapest option for me (b) PowerGen's new tarrifs are way off the mark and (c) next best to Amerada are Atlantic, so looks like that's where I'm headed.
Anyway... During my internet travels I came across the following link which might be of interest: http://tinyurl.com/niop (if it doesn't work, it's a deep-link to a page on the following site: http://www.moneysavingexpert.com ) regarding this whole issue. It also mentions that if you manage your switch through 'Simply Energy' (0800 093 9884) you get paid a cashback of 10 GBP per service, or 15 GBP if you pick Atlantic (so that's 60 quid if you switch both gas and electric). Better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick; reckon I'll give it a go! (Simply Energy have a website at www.simplyenergy.com but you apparently you have to phone to get this cashback deal).
[By the way, the above site also mentions the Telecom Plus deal referred to by someone else; it says "...it has the very lowest energy supply charges, providing you use its home telephone or mobile phone service. Unfortunately, for all but the lowest use telephone users, the extra expense of its costly telephone service outweighs the energy savings"]
Regards David

Pete
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (David) wrote in message

Doh! Or even 30 quid...
David
This is really strange Nick cos I also ploughed my details into uswitch and Powergen came out only 5-88 more expensive. Maybe it's because I am on the Dual Fuel option; I see their EnergyEssentials is 58 more expensive.
You seem unfortunate in your dealings with Amerada. I found them very helpful at all times. Once I queried their method of billing and they gave me an ex gratis payment of 5 - can't be bad.
The Daily Mail link in an earlier post certainly suggests that some people will be much worse off. I was surprised that mine was so small as the gas increase from 1.142 to 1.416 kwhr is quite a hike. But I think this is offset by the 36 dual fuel, one bill, online discounts.
Ross wrote:

I've been with Amerada for 18 months. Their administration is really crap but the juice has never failed to turn up and they are cheap. I have yet to receive my letter.
Examples of poor account management include.....
- I set a monthly payment fee which I knew to be about right, from the outset. Amerada failed to collect any money for the first three months, thus putting me into an arrears situation.
- I adjusted the payment amount to recover the shortfall but each time I changed the amount they then failed to take anything that month. This led to a spiral of continual arrears and amendments before I finally worked out how to play them.
- Even though the service is supposed to be managed online they always initiate communication by snail mail. Why? Email is quicker and easier to reply to.
- Why is it impossible to phone them without paying 1 per minute for the privelege? I wanted to scream at them for their incompetence but was not going to pay for the pleasure. Perhaps that's exactly why they do it:-)
- As things began to settle down I still needed to make adjustments to the monthly payments. They were very slow to respond to my changes and sometimes completely misread what I input. e.g. I was once so far in credit that I wanted to make my payments just 2 per month on one of the services. This was input to their website so there could be no doubt as to the amount. They sent me a letter agreeing to the new figure of 20. Why? I had specified 2 and the website still reflected this. This sort of thing happened twice.
- Despite the website having a field in which to input the payment date they have never ever acknowledged the dates I've supplied. Even when I queried it they ignored that too.
They really are/were a shambles.
Normally I would never endure service of this poor quality but at the end of the day the lights and heating worked and I was saving money. The only downside was to my blood pressure and that's OK now too.

the country you live in.Based on the old Electricity Boards.

Already done here. I'm jumping ship to Scottish Power
Paul