Re: Amerada -> PowerGen

Page 1 of 2

I use them too and haven't received this letter - They do need to give a minimum of 30 days written notice though before changing the rates.
Daniel
On Sat, 06 Sep 2003 16:09:29 -0000, Nick Pitfield wrote:

Is that using the figures supplied in the letter and your useage or from uswitches' data on PowerGen? PowerGen nee Amerada may well have a different tarrif to PowerGen already listed.
Just a thought.
--
Cheers snipped-for-privacy@howhill.com
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

I used four combos:
a) using two different tariffs:
1) PowerGen tariff as written in letter 2) best PowerGen tariff on uswitch.com
b) using two different figures from my end:
1) actual annual spend in . 2) actual annual usage in KwH.
--

Regards.

Nick Pitfield ( snipped-for-privacy@nickpitfield.com)

fine and there have been absolutely no billing problems. I used the online tariff to avoid having to speak with customer service people and I haven't had to. One or two emails, mostly answered. One strange thing though. A few months ago they significantly reduced the monthly payments on both gas and electricity to less than required. Call me a cynic but I believe transferring when behind is difficult. Strangely? the emails they have ignored are my emails asking for the correct monthly payments to be restored.
Alan

Same here. When I transferred to Amerada in May, they instituted monthly direct debits of ukp22 for gas (was ukp33 with British Gas) and ukp4.50 for electric (was ukp37 with Manweb.) I thought the figures were too low, especially for the electric, but have not been with Amerada long enough to play 'catch up'.

H'm. We'll see. In view of Nick's heads-up (thanks for that, Nick) I re-read the takeover letter from AmeradaPowergen and spent a few minutes at uSwitch with my calculator. A transfer to Atlantic is now in the works.
Mike
--
A. Top posters.
writes

One thing I found was that all the dual-fuel deals worked out more expensive than getting gas and electricity from two different suppliers. Something to watch out for at least...
Bob
writes

The goalposts are constantly shifting, so having two suppliers can be tiresome in always trying to get the best deal. That is why I went with Telecom Plus, as they guarantee the cheapest gas and electricity. If someone drops to lower they drop lower again immediately.

IMM wrote:

Not in every case due to their combined standing charge of 62.50 p.a. It only works out if you are an energy hog and capitalise on the low unit rates, especially the very keen 5p electricity. In my case they are in 8th place according to www.moneyexpert.com
One facet not covered by the comparison sites are rebates given after 12 months, nPower currently give you back 50 if both elec & gas have been paid by fixed DD for the previous year. For a low user this may equal a 20% discount or so.
Toby.

Telecom Plus "Guarantee" the cheapest duel fuel gas and electricity, only if you take up their cheap land line telephone deal which is also very cheap. I am with them. The bottom line with all three is very cheap indeed. http://tinyurl.com/4nlu
They don't come up on the comparison sites as they are not there. With many of those sites the companies have to pay to be there and pay the site commission on sales via the site too. Telecom Plus refuse to do this. I read they are going to the advertising standards or fair trading people about the sites as they say they show the cheapest deals and Telecom Plus never come up, and Telecom Plus have the cheapest "guaranteed".

How do you know they are *complete* cretins?
For all you know, some of them may have parts missing...
--
< Paul >

writes

Judging by their inability to follow very simple instructions, it may be their brains that are missing.
Seriously - I've dealt with many customer service centres in my time - both phone and email - and this lot were the worst of the worst.
Mind you, I see my next supplier only has a ~ 75% service rating, so maybe more exciting times ahead :-)
--

Regards.

Nick Pitfield ( snipped-for-privacy@nickpitfield.com)
On Sun, 07 Sep 2003 17:20:56 +0100, Nick Pitfield wrote:

They were so bad they took 4 months to attempt to get money from me, and I lost count of the number of direct debit forms I filled in.
They now owe me money since I moved supplier. Chances of getting my (small) sum back?
cd

I was previously on Amerada Online, but lost them when I moved house after they went bust. I went for Scottish Power in the end. It is fractionally more expensive than Atlantic, but has a better customer service rating. Also, the Atlantic deal had some sort of dodgy 10% rebate at the end of the year clause. I got the impression that this meant they could up their rates (or provide atrocious service) and you'd still be tied in, as you would lose the 10% "bonus" that is required to make their prices look good.
Christian.

I have just moved from Atlantic, who have this week, I think, put their prices up 3%.
In the 6 months I have been with them, they did not give TXU a final meter reading, meaning that TXU continued to bill me; they produced a bill showing an "actual" (not estimated) reading 70 more than it should have been, which was interesting since they never read the meter; they then took 2 lots of Direct Debits in 1 month and claimed it was a "system failure." Helps their cash flow though.
I could never get through on their 'phone line and letters took at least 4 weeks before a response was received.
The highlight was a call from a market research company that called wanting to know why we were leaving Atlantic!
I hope Scottish Power, to whom I am now transferring, are less of a shambles.

No issues yet. The changeover has happened very smoothly. I didn't even send them back the form they sent me giving them permission to ask the original supplier to cease supply. I suspect this wasn't an issue because I had just moved in and didn't actually have a signed contract with the original supplier, who will just be happy to be paid for the two months.
I think their initial assessment of 60pm for gas is high, and have asked them to drop it somewhat. I suspect they are going on previous usage at the address, or something. However, I'm having the heating system replaced and it got a good SAP rating in the survey (despite have uninsulated solid brick walls and single glazing).
Christian.
I switched about 2-3 months ago from Scottish Power to Amerada. I got the letter this week and I've also done a search on uswitch.com and now found that best deal is Scottish Power!
I've no doubt it will be fun and games trying to get back some of the credit in my gas and electricity accounts from Amerada/PowerGen
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ GreedyMoose - Online offers, vouchers and coupons for the UK http://www.greedymoose.co.uk
How strange. I changed to Amerada for both gas and electricity in July last year. I've had no problem with the exception of my monthly payment for gas.
They started me at 38/month which I thought was fair. In February they reduced it to 32/month as I was running up too much credit. (We have a gas Aga, hence why we use so much gas.) On the anniversary they informed me that they were increasing the monthly take to 43. When I looked at what was happening I found that (a) they had not got a meter reading since Easter and (b) whilst the review was on the anniversary of the switch to them - 27th July - they had not taken the first payment until 8th August. If I gave them a new reading and they took into account the '12th' payment I was actually in credit, so the 32/month was right.
When I first asked them to support their calculations, and then presented them with my facts they agreed I was right and left the payment as it was.
Am I the only one not to have significant problems?
--
Woody

snipped-for-privacy@ntlworld.com

I wonder how companies that behave like this have any customers left. It does puzzle me to see anyone dealing with a company when they know how bad they are.
In my mind the only time its worth dealing with trouble makers is when its a non-essential item, its stoooopidly cheap, and you're well prepared for the risk and agrro. I.e. not very often. Sure as heck wouldnt deal with monkeys for essential supplies like electricity.
Companies today are astonishingly incompetent. Thankfully they will put themselves out of business this way, but it takes time.
Regards, NT

I must admit that I've had NO problems with Amerada supplying my gas. In my experience the WORST customer service has been provided by nPower. Apparently their call centre is in Newcastle but their fax machine is in Kent(?) and there seems to be no communication between the two offices.
nPower have also recently taken over the supply of energy for my employer - ignoring existing terms and meter readings.
It seems that the much vaunted competition in the energy market is going to lead to consolidation and we'll be left again with one or two suppliers who will then carve up the market. As usual the poor consumer will be left with poor customer service and nowhere else to go. Will OfGEN do anything about it? I doubt it - look at OfTel and the 192 c***-up!

days presumably exploiting the higher service rating.
Alan