Re: Air Conditioner ( for single room ) ?

> With the current heat-wave (and more to come) , we are thinking of buying > a

> > small air-conditioner portable in size and suitable for chilling the air > in > > a single average-sized room. > > This topic has been discussed at length in recent weeks, Brendan. Look back > at previous threads for a range of comments and opinions ... and do some > Googling.

What the f*** is Googling?

If it has anything to do with the web I wouldn't go near it.

So far, my experience of the web is that it is time consuming and expensive.

Why not just give the man an answer to his question, it seemed to me to be fairly simple.

Alan

> > What price should we be prepared to pay? > > Recommended Make & Model ? > > Where can we buy it? > > Google. > >
Reply to
Alan Holmes

Do a search to find out. ;-)

But you download newsgroups?

Stop looking at all those pictures, then. ;-)

It hasn't occurred to you that one can remember a subject has been covered on here, but not the full and accurate content?

Reply to
Dave Plowman

I did and it came back "Googling is using the popular search engine Google.com to look up someone's name in an effort to find out more about them". Stalking time methinks.

You don't need the web for NGs, usenet is quite distinct. That said though you can use the web to use Ngs.

Reply to
James Hart

In message , Alan Holmes writes

You should stay away from those premium rate sex sites then

Reply to
geoff

!plonk!

(rare that, but seems to be more getting more popular lately )

Take Care, Gnube {too thick for linux}

Reply to
Gnube

SNAP! ;O)

Take Care, Gnube {too thick for linux}

Reply to
Gnube

In message , Brendan DJ Murphy writes on August 12th 2003,

Those were the days eh?

Reply to
usenetfrom

Go to

and submit words relevant to the topic you are interested in. You will get back a list of web pages on which those words appear, click on the link to take you to that page, and therein will most likely be the answer you are looking for.

Then you are (a) missing a great opportunity to learn and (b) resigned to living in the past.

I find it rather amusing that you have managed to figure out how to connect up to and use usenet, and yet fail to be able to use the Internet.

Usenet makes use of the Internet in order to transfer messages around the world. You might not see that level of detail in your use of this forum, but that's the way that messages find their way between here and Timbuctoo.

An answer to your question was provided. It appears you did not like the answer.

The main reason why you were politely informed to use google is that the responder noted that the topic you raised was discussed in some detail in the recent past. He made you aware of that to save you further time. You would presumably not be a happy camper if you offered someone detailed advice and then a few days later someone else came along to ask pretty much the same question, and you then had to spend further time recounting the same detail.

Many of the people using this forum are professional tradespeople who provide their time and energy for free - you aren't paying for that advice. I happen to value the contribution these people make, because almost on a daily basis my level of knowledge increases based upon the responses that I read herein. It would be idiotic to presume that these professional people should spend enormous amounts of their (billable) time manning an Internet helpdesk (which this forum essentially is), for which they get zero reward - beyond the satisfaction of helping others (or at least, helping those who are intelligent enough to want to accept advice when it is offered, those who don't subscribe to that modus operandi quickly get consigned to the twit filter - and will never receive advice from those sources again).

BTW, I realise from your response that you aren't particularly net-savvy, so a word to the wise. When you see the work "Plonk!" in response to a message it means that the individual is most likely plonking you into their personal twit filter - meaning that any further messages you post will be ignored by their newsreader. They won't ever respond to you again :)

PoP

Reply to
PoP

I find it rather sad if you consider research of previous posts by someone stalking. Stalking is a covert business. Reading posts that were available at the time for anyone who wanted to, isn't.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

In message , Dave Plowman writes

not the point Dave - you and I clearly understand "Googling" to mean 'using Google's usenet archive to research previous posts' but the first entry Google www-search returns when presented with the term Googling is an article at

Reply to
usenetfrom

It was indeed a simple enough question Alan, and I could certainly have answered it directly, but this would necessarily have been a personal view limited to my own experience. Do you not think it was more helpful to Brendan to explain how he could independently find the answer for himself, and in so doing, access the many other opinions and ideas aired previously in this newsgroup? He may even consider some more relevant or valuable than mine. Had the questioner asked for the resonant frequency of reactive components in a given circuit, I probably would have provided a direct factual answer but may also considered it helpful to explain how to calculate it so that next time he could avoid the need to ask ...

I'm a little surprised that my well-intentioned reply has generated so much additional traffic unrelated to the original post.

Reply to
Mike Faithfull

I don't consider researching the archives stalking but the word you use for that activity has a different meaning according to Google.

Reply to
James Hart

Ah - so I believe now. But I don't speak Google and the intention was perfectly clear to me.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

In message , Dave Plowman writes

errrm, Whacking is another strange Googlism.

Reply to
usenetfrom

Could somebody please tell me what the resonant frequency of reactive components is in this circuit:

you also explain how to calculate it so that next time I could avoid the need to ask ...

thanks

Brendan

Reply to
Brendan DJ Murphy