RCD wiring top and bottom in consumer unit

The 80A Wylex RCD in my new consumer unit has 2 connections top, and 2 bottom.

Is it OK to wire the Live input to the top, the Neutral input to the bottom, the Live output to the top, and the Neutral output to the bottom ? The inputs will come from the main switch in the consumer unit (there are 2 RCDs in it) (and there will be a 100ma 100ms RCD before this consumer unit and the others)

thanks george

Reply to
DICEGEORGE

If my understanding of what you describe is correct, then

******* NO ********

Or at least, only if you want to short out your supply when you try to turn the RCD on!

TT install I presume... Does the CU have any non RCD protected ways? (and if not, what is the 100mA RCD for?)

Reply to
John Rumm

+1. If you understand what an RCD does it will be clear you can't miswire it and have it work.

Video it from a safe distance.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

i dont think it would short out - top left neutral in would go to bottom left neutral out and bottom right live in to top right live out - and then on to the mcbs so when its turned off both would be disconnected.

[g]

100 ma RCD is because there are lots of old circuits and consumer units

Reply to
DICEGEORGE

Why would it short the supply? I thought that a RCD connects the 2 blues and 2 browns, and measures that the current is the same in both and disconnects both if there's an imbalance.

I'm unsure of whether swapping the blues from top to bottom would short everything out and why?

That's why I asked, I want to understand electrics more, and have a better than professional job at the end of it!

(I got my A level physics many decades ago!)

Reply to
DICEGEORGE

ps I wasnt swapping the wires left and right, but up and down, there would still be blue wires on the left and brown on the right but one input would be on top and the other at the bottom.

Theoretically the RCD would work, wouldn't it?

pps i probably wont do this as its confusing

[George]
Reply to
DICEGEORGE

The typical operation of an RCD is that the live poles are wound one way round a ferrite core, while the neutral poles are counter-wound on the same core, so cancelling each other out until some leakage happens ... if the live goes top to bottom while the neutral is bottom to top, I'd expect the windings would add rather than cancel and the RCB trip instantly?

I'm not familiar with the insides of a modern wylex, can you not feed one of the wires behind the DIN strip so they both run top to bottom?

Reply to
Andy Burns

On Monday, September 26, 2016 at 8:11:10 PM UTC+1, Andy Burns wrote: xxx

that's the way to do it. I was thinking of minimising cable wire length but much simpler to do it your way, thinking of myself or another trying to understand the wiring ten years later!

So it doesnt matter if both inputs to an RCD are at the top or at the bottom. That's right isn't it?

[george]
Reply to
DICEGEORGE

Photo of the consumer unit, i think i've got it right now, have I ?

[George]

Reply to
DICEGEORGE

Rather than ramming three thick cables into a single terminal, I'd take the N output of the main switch up to the right hand neutral bar, them take individual neutrals from there to each of the two RCDs and then from the outputs of those to the other two neutral bars.

Looks like the photoshopping accidentally shows the output neutral on the RCDs coming from the live outputs?

maybe have another stab at drawing it?

Reply to
Andy Burns

yes, yes, (but the end of the 3 blue wires are already squashed together somehow and were when I got the unit. But the main swqitch got dust in it, then i took a few years to replace it and forgot where the wires had been originally!)

[g]
Reply to
DICEGEORGE

That is not (how I read) what you described... it seems like you suggested live in and and out of the top, and neutral in and out of the bottom.

Even with the revised wiring it would not work since the RCD would trip the moment you drew any current through it.

ok makes sense - I sounded like the multi CU was the only one.

Reply to
John Rumm

OK that is a 17th edition "high integrity CU"... it provides for three separate load areas - one without RCD protection, and two further ones each with their own RCD.

ISTM you want two neutral tails leaving the lower right terminal of the main switch - one goes to the top right neutral bus bar, and the other to the top right terminal of the right RCD. Another neutral shares that terminal and goes to the top right terminal of the left RCD.

The bottom right terminal of the right RCD goes to the middle bus bar, and the bottom right terminal of the left RCD goes to the leftmost neutral bus bar.

The bottom left terminal of the main switch feeds the top left terminal of the right hand RCD (you could also have a live bus bar comb in there for non RCD protected MCBs or RCBOs). The top left terminal of the right RCD also connects to the top left of the left RCD.

Reply to
John Rumm

definitely not. Go read what RCDs do.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

miswire it and have it work.

The other poster misunderstood your proposal. However, the way you want to do it the balanced currents in the neutral and live wires would be going in opposite directions so would amount to an imbalance equal to double the current drawn. That is, the tiniest load would trip the RCD.

Reply to
Roger Hayter

yes Roger, I see that now. Both input wires, blue and brown, must either go to the top or to the bottom of the RCD.

I think thats right!

[g]

Reply to
DICEGEORGE

Apart from using the top right neutral rail this is pretty much what happens in this video: Dual RCD Consumer Unit by John Ward

George

Reply to
DICEGEORGE