RCD tripping with mains saw

cheers

Reply to
Jack Lawson

I knew someone would know the correct terminology.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

A B20 (which would ok with 2.5mm^2 T&E in most cases), will allow 100A of inrush current. A C16 will allow 160A of inrush.

(your current B16 allows 80A)

What kind of motor is in the saw - is it a loud universal brushed motor, or a quite induction motor?

Reply to
John Rumm

Remove the RCD, they're a bloody nuisance as you've found out.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Fuses don't nuisance trip. Get rid of the newfangled shit.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

I think the whole point is that they are not supposed to work!

Chopping through the cable with the sharp end of a tool tends to make the presence of an RCD desirable.

Whether it's a 30mA RCD or 300mA RCD that is required can be determined using DNA profiling.

Quite a few users of uk.d-i-y would be fine with a 300mA unit :-)

AB

Reply to
Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp

A 16A or 20A C type type will be OK with that sort of run. No calculations are needed.

A 32A B type will also be OK and will have the added advantage that it will annoy dennis.

Reply to
ARW

I thought you might like to break out the adiabatic equation, until Jack mentioned it was all within reach of the CU!

Reply to
Andy Burns

No need for all that bollocks.

However there is a chance that if the OP lives close to a substation then a short circuit may destroy the MCB. That applies to all circuits at the house.

Reply to
ARW

snip

It is quite noisy 1600 Watt - so guess a universal brushed motor

Reply to
Jack Lawson

That is incorrect.

A C16 MCB will have a similar fault trip threshold to a BS3036 15A fuse.

Off you go then...

Reply to
John Rumm

Never seen a fuse blow with anything other than a short.

I've never had an MCB or other crap in my house.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

MCB swapped for Type C 32 Amps - job's a good 'un Thanks to all for advice.

Reply to
Jack Lawson

32A? Properly you should use 4mm^2 with that.

Could you not get a 16A or 20A type C?

Reply to
Andy Burns

Or make it a very short ring with 2.5mm^2

Reply to
Andy Burns

No-one suggested that you should fit a C type 32A MCB.

Reply to
ARW

We've established upthread that the 2.5^2 is short enough.

Reply to
Roger Hayter

Not short enough for a C type 32A MCB on a TN-S supply that is at the upper limits of it's maximum allowed Zs.

Reply to
ARW

If its a short radial with only one double socket on it, then the MCB is only required for fault protection anyway.

Reply to
John Rumm

As I was in the workshop this evening I thought I should check my claim about my 9" angle grinder tripping the supply. Er... the MCB is in fact a 16amp B type....

Reply to
Tim Lamb