RCD tripping - really odd!

Arse - I can feel a lengthy spell in the loft this evening coming up.

Ho hum

Cheers dan.

Reply to
Dan delaMare-Lyon

That could be 9kW worst case if all on at once... so not alot of change from the 7.2kW available on your single ring!

I was thinking more in the line of just accidental mechanical damage - nicking a cable with a screw etc.

Better if you can disconnect it inside rather than remove it outside - otherwise you are still left with live wires outside.

Hard to say for sure. The functional switching may for example leave the neutral connected to the heater element. If there was a leak to earth then that would still be able to cause a problem.

Reply to
John Rumm

Note this will be a test of the circuit and not the heater itself...

I think you may be missing a decimal point there somewhere...

And those look back to front to me.... (i.e. it should trip faster at 5 * I)

Yup, because the above tests were probably done without the heater connected.

Reply to
John Rumm

yup - .2

Merely reading/typing the figures from the NICEIC forms :)

S'got the boiler (combi) connected to it now - so t'will never get the same load on the CCT. Spoke to the electrician this PM. He's going to come back and work out what's going wrong. I would deal with it as you fellers have so adequately documented for me - but I just found out my schedule for the next 2 months - and much of it will be spent in the middle east - grrrrr - still - at least I can do some tiling in the evenings/weekends when I'm not out there - once the leccy is sorted that is.

Cheers Dan.

Reply to
Dan delaMare-Lyon

Never all on at the same time - plus - never all run on "hot" anyway - so the load never gets that high - but point taken.

Is possible I s'pose. I put all the floorboards back down after the recent work - but am screwing in miles away from pipes/cables so my money would probably be on the new wiring somewhere then.

The wires come inside - but doesn't mean that something isn't leaking in to the "sealed" bit and is causing the fault there. The weather beat me to the test - but - nothing yet...

As an experiment we are leaving only the fridge on overnight - everything else will be switched off an unplugged (cept the cooker cct which I cannot unplug without meddling with the PDU) - see what gives....

Cheers Dan.

Reply to
Dan delaMare-Lyon