RCD tripping question

Just for information really. I re-wired the living room the other day as t= he floor was out so it was easy. A simple ring just for the one room, wire= d in red and black (although the CU has an RCD for the rings). Knocked the= mcb off, checked the L vs N - 0 volts, L vs earth - 0 volts and N vs earth= - 0 volts.

Half an hour into the job, SWMBO came in and said the power was off upstair= s (which I'd promised wouldn't happen). Cause - RCD tripped. Re-set, stil= l no voltage in the cables I was working on. Started wondering where the p= romised cup of tea was - answer, no power. Cause - RCD tripped. This repe= ated itself until I had finished the job. Since then, no trips, no problem= s.

So, the question: Was the RCD tripping because of a small current I was se= nding from N to earth when I was playing with the cables, or some other rea= son?

Reply to
GMM

floor was out so it was easy. A simple ring just for the one room, wired in red and black (although the CU has an RCD for the rings). Knocked the mcb off, checked the L vs N - 0 volts, L vs earth - 0 volts and N vs earth - 0 volts.

(which I'd promised wouldn't happen). Cause - RCD tripped. Re-set, still no voltage in the cables I was working on. Started wondering where the promised cup of tea was - answer, no power. Cause - RCD tripped. This repeated itself until I had finished the job. Since then, no trips, no problems.

sending from N to earth when I was playing with the cables, or some other reason?

The short answer is: Yes.

'Knocking the MCB off' is not good enough.

THe circuit you were working on still had a N and E connection to the CU, and any E-N faults you created would trip the RCD.

To properly isolate the circuit you were working on, you needed to lift the corresponding N out of the neutral block too.

Reply to
Ron Lowe

Such as snipping through the old cables with sidecutters ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

Yes, spot on.

Basically if the power is on and other circuits are live, then a neutral to earth short can (although not always will) cause a trip. It only takes a tiny rise in voltage on the neutral to allow enough mA to flow to earth and cause a trip.

To prevent this, disconnect the neutral of the circuit you are working on at the CU first.

Reply to
John Rumm

Well it's gratifying that my thoughts were correct! I suppose there will always be a little juice in the neutral as things run, though not enough to cause any problems (apart from this) unless was something shorted without popping its mcb.

Reply to
GMM

You can in theory get a reasonable current flow from neutral to earth in the right set of circumstances (assuming there is no RCD there to prevent it!) But not normally enough to be a problem.

Reply to
John Rumm