RCD's - why 30mA?

I see rcd's in CU are usually marked as being "30mA". Just wondered why this figure? Is it because this is below some "fatal" level of current. Why not make it 3 mA (too sensitive to transients maybe).

Can't see any markings of speed of operation to disconnect. Are there various speeds as well as currents?

Reply to
dave

Dave Plowman (News)

This

help explain why and how.

New MCB's, RCD's and RCBO's are more effective than calling out electricians for something simple like a bulb burning a small fuse out. If you know what appliance caused the trip off, then you already have a better clue where any fault may be. Once the fault is cleared, it is a simple flick of a switch to restore power. No faffing about with fuse wire and hand tools in torch light. :-) Damn, those were the days. lol

Reply to
BigWallop

Copy and pasteing a good couple of good links is the fastest way to try and answer this question.

ARWadsworth

ARWadsworth coughed up some electrons that declared:

Our instructor told us some of the interesting facts about what is likely fatal and what isn't came from Nazi "research" (ie torturing people with electricity). Make you think...

Reply to
Tim S

and the windings to be solid palladium.

Reply to
Andy Burns

In article , BigWallop scribeth thus

Just --how-- does that Prat get away with such bollocks as this?..

Reply to
tony sayer

"the Hi-Fi ring circuit"

Any fule no that hi fi should be wired on radials to prevent earth loops.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

"the current passes through a very small toroidal transformer. This is very undesirable! By increasing the impedance, the effect is to ruin good, clean, deep bass; make midrange sound thin and lacking in body; and add a hard, bright treble. It also affects soundstage size and dimensionality."

What a load of bollocks.... How do they escape the attention of the ASA one wonders...

Reply to
John Rumm

Yup, current level and duration of exposure are the main things that dictate the potential injury a shock can inflict.

Have a look at the graph here:

current. Why not make it 3 mA (too sensitive to transients maybe). Too sensitive to all sorts of things. Have a look at the nuisance trips bit here:

There are two basic speed ratings - "now" and "in a moment". Only the former offer protection against direct shocks. There are also regulatory requirements about how fast a RCDs operate. In reality most (if not all) will exceed the minimum performance by a good margin.

Reply to
John Rumm

They don't always, presumably not many customers make complaints, or hopefully they don't get many customers to start with

Andy Burns

Reply to
Bob Eager

Is a web site "An Advert" as far as ASA is concerned? If not where else do they advertise?

Reply to
Andy Burns

Bet you didn't know that a simple RCD in your consumer unit could cause so many problems with your Hi-Fi system? Bang and Olufsen? More like fizz and trip. :-)

Reply to
BigWallop

The ASA based their adjudication on their catalogue. They will send one on request...

Websites come under Trading Standards.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Because I know you'll be right behind me, correcting everything I have said. Haven't you worked that out yet? :-)

Bet you didn't know a simple RCD in your consumer unit, could cause problems with your Hi-Fi system?

I was searching the web when I came across that page. Then I come into the group and find a post asking about RCD's. I couldn't resist the urges. You know what I'm like. LOL

Reply to
BigWallop

I presume the prat Tony was referring to was Russ Andrews rather than you, but I stand to be corrected ;-)

Yes surprising isn't it. I wonder what they measure the supply impedance with to see such a marked difference between the incoming and outgoing terminals of the RCD?

Reply to
John Rumm

What does this have to do with film speed?

*ahem*

I'll get me coat.

Reply to
Brass Monkey

>>> might help explain why and how.

I was amazed when I read it. It was double take stuff. You know when you have to read it again and again to make sure it does actually say what you think it says. :-)

I was looking for pressurised, intrinsically safe switch gear for a petrol station job, and came across this RCD Hi-Fi interference stuff. Which I am now going to share with a few more people today. It's Friday, they need a laugh to finish the week off. LOL

Reply to
BigWallop

In article , BigWallop scribeth thus

ISTM to remember it was him who once told his disciples to use a 1.5 volt battery connected to your speaker leads to ..

....."flush out the tired electrons"....

Reply to
tony sayer