RCD plug for kids room

I live in an old house and the consumer unit does not have an RCD built in. One day I'll get it replaced, but in the meantime I want to make the power in the kids' room as safe as possible. I've bought an RCD plug (made by Masterplug) and wired it to a 4-way adapter. Is this safe? Is there any reason not to leave these devices on permanently?

Cheers,

John

Reply to
aboleth

1 Whats to stop the ids from unplugging it (Apart from the threat of death from you if they do) 2 Why not install a separate small box alongside with a single RCD unit in it? 3 Why not just rewire the CU completely and be safe ALL over the house?
Reply to
Robbo

I have one of these for use in the workroom ,

means that all my power tools and garden tools are RCD protected

The only downside is that the individual sockets aren't switched, but if you are prepared to pay £52 rather than £21 you can get this

OG

these for =A319

cucumber

Socket is behind bed, inaccessible to them.

Didn't know about these, thanks, will get one

Time, money, the usual reasons.

Reply to
aboleth

protection is not needed. Thanks for hte tip.

Reply to
aboleth

Reply to
aboleth

Not at all, I used to have a couple of those sockets before changing the CU.

Reply to
cucumber

not fit in the existing back box.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Don't know about the other ones but I do remember the Volex ones I had were fitted to a 25mm back box.

Reply to
cucumber