RCA to HDMI - this simple?

The kitchen TV has been showing signs of increasing illness and yesterday it sadly died, its internal fuse had blown. I pulled it apart to take a look, replaced the fuse and found the screen driver sub board had over heated - so its scrap.

The good part of that TV was that it had both SCART for the DVB input and RCA for the camera which watches the front of the house and it was easy to switch between them. Looking for a replacement, I wasn't able to match its inputs, but settled on a 1xSCART, 2xHDMI TV. So I now need to find some means to use an HDMI input via which to feed an RCA from the camera.

Is it as simple as buying this item on ebay eBay item number: 360760234853 - please?

I thought it was much more complex than that..

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

I'm sure you are correct. How is a passive lead going to to A to D conversion?

Why not split the scart input with a scart switch box and a RCA composite video to scart adaptor

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Pass?

Idea was to make it quick/easy to switch between watching TV and watching the camera input via the remote. I have a SCART switch box somewhere around, but intended to work as a temporary solution.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Assuming the composite input is wired correctly of course. there have been some wierd scarts around in the past. Are you sure the lead mentioned is not active in some way. I've seen some very small keyboard adaptors between ps2 and usb, is there power on an hdmi?

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

In article , Harry Bloomfield writes

You're right, that's never going to work.

I assume there's a good reason for not using built in freeview rather than external DVB by scart, sat perhaps?

I see what you mean about the number of alternate connections on new tellies being cut, even 19" ones used to have PC and AV. If you can wait, the Aldi and Lidl offerings usually have them.

Alternatives are to change your DVB source to something with HDMI out (there are mini sat boxes for about 40quid that can output HDMI and are small enough to be stuck to the back of the telly. I resisted the switch for a while but life is a lot easier after changing to digital connections.

Or in the true sense of DIY you could butcher a scart lead and add a changeover toogle switch to the vid feed. This could be just out of view behind the telly with just the toggle visible.

Reply to
fred

Who says it's passive? There is +5 V @ 50 mA available on a HDMI socket and a A-D chip doesn't take up much space... Having said that I'd still want further information. The bigger snag is that example is for *component* ie matrixed RGB (possibly S-Video), rather than

*composite* PAL or NTSC video that I expect the security camera is putting out.

That would work, the DVB may use RGB rather than composite video so it might be possible to just wire the camera into the single Scart plug and put a switch in the pin 16 line from the DVB to toggle between the DVB and camera devices. A commercial switch box might be more acceptable to the management though B-)

Composite video (CVBS) to HDMI convertors are out there. The ones I've found do 720p or 1080p at 60 Hz on the HDMI but that shouldn't be a problem for a modern set. I'd still read the sets specs though...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Something like this claims to do what you want..

I would have bought a different TV, can you take it back?

Reply to
dennis

almost certainly not...

It is.

If you read the description on item 231113752867 it makes it clear its for a very specific application that not what you are trying to do.

(its also only applicable to component video and not CVBS)

Could you clarify what you mean by DVB input?

Basically your RCA feed needs to go into the scart.

Reply to
John Rumm

No need now - I have managed to track down a full spec for the set and it suggests there are RCA inputs available after all.

Its a SAMSUNG UE19F4000, due for delivery on Monday.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Sorry not its not DVB, its I think what is called a Freeview PVR. Its a set top Freeview receiver with a HDD installed upon which it can record and timeshift programs. Its only output is SCART.

I think it is solved anyway - I have found a more detailed spec which suggests the TV actually has 1xSCART, 2xHDMI, 1xUSB and RCA inputs.

Its a SAMSUNG UE19F4000.

Thanks for the help and sorry about the confusion.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

I would suggest not with that lead, as it seems to be component video to HDMI, not composite video to HDMI you CCTV camera will no doubt need. RCA is just the plug\socket type, not the signal going through it.

Reply to
Toby

In article , Windmill writes

Interesting, 30quid or so seems to be the going rate.

Reply to
fred