RC Clocks

Reception by my radio-controlled clock has been rather intermittent over the last fortnight or so. It was off for a few days before Christmas, was back on yesterday, but is off again this morning. Been OK for weeks before that. I don't see any problems highlighted on the NPL/Anthorn site. Has anyone else been having problems or is it just me?

Reply to
Chris Hogg

As your problem is short term this might not be the same, but when it moved to Anthorn several clocks got signals intermittently - one was so bad that I cut the aerial wire and now it's OK. For the last couple of years I've bought ones that use Germany as it's a good signal - Aldidl's good for those. I'm about 25 miles SE of Rugby so the signal used to be v. good. As the village is in a hole I suspect that it's a bit shielded from Anthorn.

Reply to
PeterC

It could be local interference from switch mode PSUs, PLAs, florescent lighting etc. Try switching off at the mains for a few minutes to see if you are producing it yourself.

Reply to
Graham.

Are you sure that your clock is not getting the time signal from Frankfurt?

Reply to
alan_m

Maybe you have a very poor switch mode psu or powerline adaptor very close by. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Thanks for all the replies. The clock is made by Precision, and their web site says their clocks are tuned to Anthorn. I do have another clock, from Lidl, that receives from Frankfurt and so far is giving no trouble.

I've tried moving the clock to another room, and it seems OK there, even though it used to be OK where it was. I know that reception here does vary from room to room, and I guess because were as far from Anthorn as it's possible to get in the UK, we're in a marginal location, and probably susceptible to variations in reception quality, which may be what's happening.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

Didn't think you where on Unst, 412 miles from Anthorn. Tresco is 366 miles, Lizard Point 352 miles, Ramsgate 313 miles. Lowesoft 265. John O'Groats is only 257 miles.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

We're a little north of the Lizard, so about 350 miles. Not quite Unst, I'll grant you that!

Reply to
Chris Hogg

I'm a little north of the Lizard too - but in the shadow of Dartmoor - reception here is sometimes "iffy". Can't get Germany reliably either )-:

Gordon

Reply to
Gordon Henderson