Rayburn heating costs; all year!

Hi,
My parents have a holiday cottage, which contains a Rayburn Royale. It's currently fuelled by coal, but they are considering changing to oil/LPG. The idea would be to run the Rayburn on the lowest setting continuously (heating the water, but not radiators) and turn it up to operating temperature when they get there at weekends.
I realise these are "how long is a length of string" questions, but they just want a rough idea of the costs involved.
I've got a couple of questions about this: 1) LPG; can you turn this off between visits to the cottage? If not, how much would it cost to run if set to "minimum" heat output?
2) If converted to oil, how much would it cost if left on the lowest setting?
They have been quoted 200 for the parts for a coal-oil conversion, and 300 for fitting them!
Thanks, Nathan
On 26 Jan 2004 04:26:40 -0800, nathan_critchlow snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Nathan Critchlow-Watton) wrote:

Is this an official Aga-Rayburn conversion kit? If so, try calling their technical department in Telford and asking them,......
.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Not all conversions to oil are good. There are some crap ones out there, they no longer get the oven to temperature and/or are dangerous.
No reason why you do not switch both off between visits.
My parents used to run an oil fired aga on low for a large part of the year, It needed servicing twice a year instead of once a year as it was never working at its most efficient.
Trying to remember, got an esse that was on a canal and it used at lowest setting it used 6 litres of diesel a day. Again when used like this needed frequent flure cleaning.
On 26 Jan 2004 04:26:40 -0800, nathan_critchlow snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Nathan Critchlow-Watton) wrote:

Lawrence
usenet at lklyne dt co dt uk

I thought the whole problem with running a Rayburn on oil was that you realistically can't shut it off between visits? We did try asking the rayburn installation people, who just said that the running costs would be "low".
thanks, Nathan
What stops you. The main issue I see is that it will take time to warm up again. My experience of a solid fueled one is that it took 24 hours to get the house comfortable again.
The quesion to ask rayburn is how many litres of oil a day does it use on low setting.
On 27 Jan 2004 01:26:36 -0800, nathan_critchlow snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Nathan Critchlow-Watton) wrote:

Lawrence
usenet at lklyne dt co dt uk
Nathan Critchlow-Watton wrote:

Can't answer this directly, but an oil fired aga burns about 600 quid a year in oil. prcices for conversion should possibly include flue lining as well.

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Crikey. My solid fuel Rayburn only burns about L.450 in anthracite per year!
J.B.
Went and talked to a friend.
There oil bill is circa 60 a month for a rayburn providing hot water and an oil central heating boiler. Three bedroom house.
Warm up time from cold is a few hours, sounds much better than solid fuel ones.