Rayburn efficiency?

Hmm. This thread is quite intriguing. We have various MEN arguing about the merits( or otherwise) of cooking in a particular manner. When do these people find time to do any real diy? Cooking is for women, it's something some of them do really well, particularly when they know their place in the scheme of things.

Incidentally, I always understood that traditional Yorkshire non suet puddings were stodgy, is it only in recent years that they have become crispy and light? The suet pudding I used to get in Yorkshire was always totally solid, not a scrap of air in the pastry, I was informed that this was the correct way to build up a reasonable waist line to allow lots of hard work. I write only as a food consumer. LOL

Personally I know of very few men(thinking more about it, NONE) who cook even one meal a day from basic ingredients. A few women may do so, but only on occasional days. After all, this is why the fish and chip shop was invented, together with all the modern derivatives.

I am not an Aga person, I find them warm to stand beside in winter, but a bit of a pain to use in the real world. Rather like the coal fired stoves of my childhood. ( Which were a definite fire hazard to small children as I can testify from family history.) However, if you do want one of these objects, buying one second hand can be a good economic proposition, with a few years of inflation, you can then sell it on to another mug and probably show a profit. Progressing to buying a proper cooker with an eye level oven and grill, and not a style, I would regard as a sign of great experience and maturity.

Regards Capitol

Reply to
Capitol

Mine has suspension -- whacking great leaf springs -- but no shocks, which I suspect is what Peter meant. It does make tackling "traffic calming" an interesting enterprise.

They *are* taxed, but at a rate of £0.00. You can drive them on a normal licence and my insurance is around £40 (TPO, but allows for 7 passengers and 3 drivers).

Douglas de Lacey

Reply to
Douglas de Lacey

Oi!

Reply to
Ophelia

All they have is a set of leaf springs (no dampers) which move about an inch when 3 ton is put on the back.

They go very slowly :-)

They do if you try anything over walking pace.

Not when you compare the cost.

They have a tax disc - but it is issued free, much to the confusion of many post office staff.

Car licence and fully comprehensive insurance is about GBP70 per year. The combination of a need for short and infrequent journeys, the type of load and the very low standing cost make it ideal.

Reply to
Peter Parry

I actually did some tests on the aga with an oven thermometer. Wih all hobs closed it was about 210C.

After an hours cooking on both hobs, it was 195C.

7% drop.

Its an oil fired aga with thermosat controlled burner.

What this shows is that

- yes, flat out it cannot maintain oven temp with both lids up but

- since it takes 4 hours to heat up, even with no burner on, it probably takes 4 hrs to cool down..and an hours hob cookng with a modulating burner is not really going to affect cooking temps enough to be noticeable.

I THINK the oil flow rate on 'full' is about 3x what it is on 'low' which implies that its probably only about 1.5KW into the ovens, max. As I would assume that 'low' oil flow is less than what it does at 'idle'

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I've measured the gas one and it's able to regulate even more tightly than the 7% that you got..

Reply to
Andy Hall