Rawl plugs / wall plugs - what's the secret?

Thanks, but they are not on the ones I "inherited" from my Dad. If they were I wouldn't be asking.

Barbara

Reply to
<Barbara

This depends on the manufacturer. Some just use one colour (often grey or brown) for their whole range. Often the size is marked on the plug.

If they are colour coded then yellow one tend to be 5mm red ones 6mm, brown ones 7 , orange ones 8 and green ones 10.

The 6mm is by far the most common and will be right for most 'fixing up' applications.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

Then I wouldn't guarantee they stick to the colour convention.

If you're not sure, simply buy some new ones which are so marked. They're not exactly expensive. Compared to whatever falling off the wall and bringing half the plaster down with it.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Although they can work if you drill far enough, ram the tiny plug right into the bottom of the hole and use a long enough screws. I'd agree that you almost always need to replace the screws though,

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Hi when you buy raw plugs, they come in a plastic strip, on the side of the strip there is a size guide for the screws & drill size, = to the size of the plugs you have bought, ok dead easy drill away !!

Reply to
NOSPAM