Raw edge of a ceramic tile.

Hi Guys.....

I am thinking of making a splash back on kitchen worktop using some ceramic tiles (1 tile high). The thing is the edge of the tiles are unglazed. Is there anything I can apply to it so it keeps clean and is wipable. The first thing that I think of is some sort of varnish.

any suggestions appreciated.

Reply to
Justine Time

Just a hint: Be VERY careful of the sharp edges on cut or broken ceramic tiles! A while ago I was pulling weeds out of the front garden when my finger slid up the side of some old tile that had buried itself deep in the earth God knows how many years ago. Opened the skin practically down to the bone like a Stanley knife. Needed stitching up in A&E.

MM

Reply to
MM

diamond knife sharpener or even emery will sort that.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

You can buy plastic edging that beds in the tile cement under the tile and gives a nice curved edge.

Mike

Reply to
Muddymike

Just a hint: Be VERY careful of the sharp edges on cut or broken ceramic tiles! A while ago I was pulling weeds out of the front garden when my finger slid up the side of some old tile that had buried itself deep in the earth God knows how many years ago. Opened the skin practically down to the bone like a Stanley knife. Needed stitching up in A&E.

MM

Reply to
MM

I wonder if something like Lithofin Stainstop would help?

Reply to
polygonum

I like the Homelux internal cove tile trim.

Reply to
stuart noble

Also in polished aluminium.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Only for limited values of "nice." IMO it looks bloody awful and has the durability of plasticine.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Meh. Needs to be the correct size for the tile thickness and to my eye looks a lot better than the bare edge of a tile. It'll take a whack better than a tile as well. Idealy one would use edging tiles that are rounded and glazed back to the rear face.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

If you don't like the plastic trim, you can get ceramic quadrant tiles to run along a top edge. And the Johnson primatic white range have a full set of various round edged tiles, coves, internal + external corners, etc (which cost a fortune). According to a tiler I spoke to, the introduction of the plastic (or other materials) quadrant has more or less killed off the round edged tiles. Look at any tiled fireplace from the 30s to 50s and it is done using a full kit of tiles for corners, edges etc. Can you get those tiles any more ? No. There is a market in such reclaimed tiles.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

There exists a stainless steel version:

is what I asked the chaps who tiled my splashback to fit, but they used something nasty :-()

Reply to
Jon Fairbairn

Paint it the same colour as the wall. That's probably the easiest.

Reply to
GB

Ouch. The cuts are more painful as well.

-- Halmyre

Reply to
Halmyre

and stainless steel

Reply to
djc

Or you could try some of that gloss tile paint.

I have a couple of bits of bare tile edge where I have tiled up around my cooker hood (only about 50mm long though) and probably too high to notice, but I'll probably use white emulsion since that will soak in a bit and disguise the edges. Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

Well you must be a hard case - personally I think A&E was the right choice.

David

Reply to
Lobster

Let's put it this way, it's "nicer" than a tile edge, and more durable than any other solution.

Reply to
stuart noble