Ravenheat combi - thoughts?

I've been looking at bits for central heating, and B+Q appear to have a reasonable deal on a Ravenheat condensing combi with a selection of Henrad radiators. A quick google suggests that the rads are the same as the Stelrad ones available from Plumb centre, but what is the boiler like? My budget is about 1k for boiler and rads all in, so would I be better to get a slightly higher quality non-condensing boiler or to get a low end (ie Ravenheat) condenser?
Thanks!
Alex
--
Reply to my first name at my last name dot org dot uk

I installed a ravenheat boiler in a property two years ago. Nice to install and all the bits needed were "in the box" inc. isol valves etc.
I have it on Ravenheatrs maintenance programme and they turn up on time each year and do a full strip down service.
The contract costs in the region of 100pa.
No complaints.

Alex,
Ravenheat kit is basically very poor. Avoid it if you can. You get what you pay for. They have a basic condensing non-combi boiler that is cheap in B&Q and not bad though.
If you can manage another 500 go for the Worcester-Bosch Greenstar 40kW condensing model that delivers 16 litres/min. http://www.discountedheating.co.uk Otherwise try an Ariston Microgenus non-condensing 30kw model. From City Plumbing. http://www.cityplumbing.co.uk

IMM wrote:

and yet mine has lasted 15 years with only a single blown fuse.
Steve

you
B&Q
I have know a one or two last a time., but most are nothing but big trouble. You go on probabilities. The odds against one being trouble free for 15 years is slim.

IMM wrote:

What goes wrong ?
Steve

trouble.
15
They tend to leak at lot. The auto air vent is over the electronic control board that can pour water over it. Poor quality pressure vessels that hole very quickly, etc. A waste of sheet metal.

you
B&Q
And mine, in three years (full age unknown), has blown the pump and the bypass/priority valve thing (the diaphragm perished). Around 200 in repairs, did the work myself. If you aren't up to it yourself, I'd recommend paying for a service contract, provided it's not too expensive. I did the math, figured I'd take the chance and get the savings. Still ended up a little ahead after the parts, and a bit more knowledgeable about how combi-boilders work...!
Is there somewhere special where you can get the parts cheap? I felt I was paying though the nose for some parts, the priority value for example was around 130. Seemed as though I was paying "tourist" prices, not being in the trade.
F./

what
in
recommend
The Ferroli Modena doesn't have a 2-way valve.

On Sun, 23 Nov 2003 19:41:34 +0000, Fraser wrote:

The cost of the parts does seem to vary between makers. HRPC are a large online firm that sell spares.
The only difference that I can tell between trade an non-trade customers is that at least one of the outlet around here won't sell gas carrying parts to unregistered customers. I doubt they check their CORGI cards so the notice is probably there just to protect the shop if anything bad happened.
The FAQ for uk.diy is at www.diyfaq.org.uk

Noted, thanks!

Having to pay VAT probably didn't help my costs either I suppose... :-(
F.
On Mon, 24 Nov 2003 00:58:51 +0000, Fraser wrote:

I'm not registered for VAT so it's the same for me.
The FAQ for uk.diy is at www.diyfaq.org.uk
I got a Ravenheat from B&Q in 1996. It needed a new 3-way valve in 2000, the temperature gauge stopped working ages ago, it periodically gurgles and spews water out of the valve at the top, and it's currently leaking.
I phoned Ravenheat and asked to speak to the technical department about the 3-way valve only to be told that, for safety reasons, the tech dept would only speak to people who're CORGI registered.
I said it was precisely for safety reasons that I wanted to speak to the tech dept, so I could ascertain what was wrong and what remedial action needed to be taken rather than being fobbed off by some cowboy plumber.
So the receptionist communicated my questions to the technical bod (who was clearly sitting at the next desk) and communicated his answers back to me.
Obviously, safety information is best delivered via a game of Chinese Whispers through a telephonist.
Have you searched the archives for Ravenheat? I wouldn't buy another one.
mike wrote:

I'd contrast that with the very good help I got from Ariston by telephone and email when I was looking into their combis.

I installed Ravenheat Combi about 4-5 years ago. I had a small query regarding the installation procedure (after made a mistake by not paying attention to what I was doing)
They happily answered my questions.
I've had one minor problem with ignition electrode not sparking properly which was easily sorted, otherwise it has worked fine
--
Chris French, Leeds