Ravenheat Boilers

Seasons greetings to all. A long time lurker posting for the first time, please be gentle :-) I am in the process of renovating a house and job one is to fit central heating. Best deal on a boiler I have come across is for a Ravenheat 84 ET (from www.diyboilers.co.uk )and before I take the plunge I wondered if anyone has any experiences of this make and specifically this model.
Regards
Sean
On Tue, 30 Dec 2003 18:41:54 +0000 (UTC), "Sean Binks"

You may want to do a search on Google Groups for past threads where these have been mentioned. Ravenheat have not generally received a good press here.
Also, this model is right at the very bottom of the legally allowed efficiency range. It's hot water performance at 12 litres per minute is not going to be spectacular for a shower or a bath in the winter, if the house is likely to have more than one bath or shower.
If you are on a budget for the renovation, then if you are planning to stay in the property for a few years, it would be worth investing a bit more in a decent condensing combi boiler such as a Vaillant, Ideal or Worcester Bosch. You can comfortably save between 25 and 30% of your gas requirements this way.
Obviously if you are planning to do a relatively cursory job and move on then this is less of an issue. .andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
On Tue, 30 Dec 2003 18:41:54 +0000, Sean Binks wrote:

boilers there is some truth to the idea that you get what you pay for.
If you are renovating to sell then all that it needed is to have a heating system that works - in which case go ahead.
If you are renovating to dwell then you want the lowest cost over 20 years (say) then something better is called for.
The FAQ for uk.diy is at www.diyfaq.org.uk

Somewhere in between actually, we will be renting it out so the reliability is a factor that counts in the decision, the economy is less so.
On Sat, 03 Jan 2004 16:29:46 +0000, Sean Binks wrote:

Probably something like a Vaillant 824e or a Glow Worm compact combi 100. Also Vokera Linea 80, Ferroli - these are typical 'mid market' non condensing combis.
The FAQ for uk.diy is at www.diyfaq.org.uk