Rats in garden

Many years ago my dad was a real gun enthusiast, well he was an armourour on spitfires;), and he had a legally held Anschutz .22 cartridge rife and that .. was a rat/bunny assassin weapon.

Get the cross hairs on said target and most all of the time their head would simply explode;!..

Don't know if he really was allowed to use what he referred to as dum-dum bullets;?...

Reply to
tony sayer

Yes. For wildlife where the intention is to KILL they are preffered - 'hollow point' is the new flavour.

Only in war were they outlawed, because it was held that incapacitation of the enemy to prevent HIM fighting was the more humane thing.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I see your Spitfire and raise you...

When my dad was trying to get a .22 licence (for rabbits) he had this discussion. The police really weren't keen, even though it was only for subsonic, low mass rounds.

Their last argument was "We have a policy of not allowing licences to unskilled people"

To which my dad replied "As an ex-navy weapons instructor qualified up to 3 inch guns I can only agree".

He got his licence.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

Nice one:)

When the old man died he left a cupboard stacked full and I mean full of unused ordnance. ALL sizes of shotgun carts, rounds for Webley revolvers, misc small shells, old railway detonators and some other stuff which I think was rather dangerous. Phoned old bill asking them to take it away they didn't what to know told me to take it home and dispose of it myself! Missus would have gone mad if I kept that lot!.

At the funeral a long lost mate of his who he used to shoot with asked if he still kept guns and I told him about the carts etc. He took the whole lot away half filled a transit van!. Carts were fine he'd thought his Christmases had all come early. I don't think yet he's used them all and this was in 2003!.

Dad never had a problem getting cert's, I think his RAF service kept him in good stead:)....

Reply to
tony sayer

Blaster Bates might have used him as a backup!

Reply to
Davey

Could you trap them live and sell them on gumtree as hamsters?

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Probably only to Spaniards. ;-)

Reply to
John Williamson

A friend got visited by a WPC about having their FAC renewed. My friend, in silence, took the WPC out to the garage and showed her the 2 cannons that her Civil War re-enactment group uses. The WPC left without further comment.

(Yes, I was surprised that cannons need a FAC, but my friend assures me they do.)

Reply to
Huge

I once worked for a company that owned lots of lorries, and they had a brake-testing device that attached to the front bumper and fired a chalk pellet at the ground when the brake pedal was pushed, to indicate the starting point of the braking action. The company needed a certificate for this piece of equipment. I think it used a .22 blank as its power source.

Reply to
Davey

Or train them as "sniffers"?

Reply to
Bob Martin

I can still picture the rat in the biscuit tin that was presented to the guests.

And Manuel explaining that the rat was called Basil :)

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

That wasn't a Rat, it was a Hamster. Baz

Reply to
Baz

Filligree Siberian Hampster - to be accurate

Reply to
charles