Rats

Cooked food, eggshells and other "stuff ... which you shouldn't."

Ah, hadn't thought of that sort of "peeling". Yes, guilty -- but of course with the citrus zest removed first!

It was in our Master Composters' course, but I don't think the course literature is on-line.

Douglas de Lacey.

Reply to
Douglas de Lacey

I suspect that may be for other reasons. You see, if rats like cooked sausages, then the council operative can probably wangle a gas ring or something in the van, and sausages to cook. I imagine it would be complete coincidence if he happened to have too many for the rats.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

One thing I thought of, whatever you do, don't use chocolate. Although it works really well, it is the antidote to some rat poisons!

Reply to
Nigel Molesworth

We have a lot of eggshells, seasonally, but Spouse hates me putting them in the compost, if they degrade it must take many years. I've tried drying and pounding them in a mortar so that he doesn't notice ... I wonder why you're not supposed to though.

But cooked food? You mean you don't use leftovers - you mean you HAVE leftovers???

The bones which we don't use are taken to a friend's dog. I can't think of other left overs. No doubt there will be some.

Excellent!

Ah well, I'm not a Master Composter ...don't have enough

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

In Australia they drown then marinade the things in Toohey's beer for a couple of weeks.

So don't ever ask for Rat a Toohey.

I'll get me coat.

Reply to
PM

'Cos the rats like them is wot I was told. Does it matter that they don't degrade? Think vermiculoponics. As part of our MC course we went to the local waste recycling centre. They neurotically remove all the bits of plastic people chuck into their green bins. When I asked why they bother, since the plastics are inert, I was told the *only* reason is that no-one will use the resulting compost -- not even farmers who know that inert material in soil is not a bad thing.

Errrrr, not very many, that's why I'm happy to compost them. But the shells of some squashes aren't very edible. And some home-grown veggies do tend to get a bit woody towards the end of the season. Or you discover on close inspection that you are not the first to have decided this is a nice potato to eat:-/

But MCs are primarily designed (IYSWIM) to encourage other people to compost.

Douglas de Lacey

Reply to
Douglas de Lacey

Would the "rat man" not have several well cooked sausages on the van to use as bait? Would save him having to be trained in the use of (potentialy explosive) council property, even though he drives a van which is powered by lots and lots of little explosions ,who said H&S rules were sensible?

Mmm the bit I saw was the householder frying (well burning to a crisp) a sausage (under the rat mans instructions) the rat man didn't use his own bait at all.

Reply to
soup

They hung around for years here :-( Certainly didn't attract any kind of vermin.

There might be aesthetic and aniimal welfare considerations.

Good for the jaw muscles :-)

Oh that's not a problem, just cut out the hole. As long as the creature isn't still in there it's no problem - I admit that I don't warm to slugs on my plate.

Here there are limits of space and compostable stuff. Two bins suit us fine.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

As a keeper of two pet rats, I'll tell ya now, rats eat just about any leftovers :-)

The only things they don't seem to like are tomato and garlic. They go mental for sausages, cheese (pizza), potato skins and chocolate.

Reply to
mike. buckley

nightjar As the SAS ban their men from eating rat (the only thing they ban) because

But how can you tell once it's been through the kebab-making machine?

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Could cause problems if the rat man had to call at a household with dietary or religious objections to sausages.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

They're not banned because of disease, it's so that the RM have something left to eat.

s/RM/{Paras, RAF Regiment, RE}/

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Rock Apes ...

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Funniest ratty thing I've seen was a pair of them dragging a whole plastic squeeze bottle of mayonnaise (with a hole nibbled in the side) off to their food stash in the back of the sofa.

They _loved_ mayonnaise.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Andy! What are you doing with a plastic bottle of mayonnaise?

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Not my rats, sofa, nor mayonnaise.

I'd quite like rats as a pet, but they just don't live very long. 8-(

Reply to
Andy Dingley

I'm glad to hear about the mayonnaise.

You don't strike me as a sofa man either ...

I've no idea. I prefer hens, more costly in fodder but more than enough eggs for mayonnaise:-)

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher