Rats!

One rat, actually, has been seen every day this week helping himself to the bits dropped off the bird table. Is it worth doing anything about? If so, what?

Reply to
Mike Barnes

Hardly an infestation is it! I'd say not.

Reply to
Alex

Air rifle ?

Reply to
bland

How do you know it's just one?

Reply to
Matt

Tried that, but haven't managed to get him in my sights before he hears me and scuttles off.

Reply to
Mike Barnes

I recognise that cute little face. Quite sweet, really. I can see why people keep them as pets. For just one, I wouldn't be bothered, but I believe they can multiply quite quickly.

Reply to
Mike Barnes

No such thing as a single rat. It's an infestation. Poison them.

Dave

Reply to
david lang

Would you ask that question about a squirrel? As long as it's not eating your house I wouldn't worry about it.

Reply to
Rob Morley

Well, if it is just one, then it won't multiply at all (except by 0).

Reply to
Grumps

| Alex wrote: | | >

| > Hardly an infestation is it! I'd say not. | | No such thing as a single rat. It's an infestation. Poison them.

They is almost certainly a family living in the sewers near you. The local authority/water company, not sure which, should deal with them. Complain.

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

| In article , november2005 | @mikebarnes.fsnet.co.uk says... | > One rat, actually, has been seen every day this week helping himself to | > the bits dropped off the bird table. Is it worth doing anything about? | > If so, what? | > | Would you ask that question about a squirrel? As long as it's not | eating your house I wouldn't worry about it.

Rats live in sewers, and spread Wiles disease and other nasties. Squirrels live in trees and compared with rats are clean animals.

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

There aren't any public sewers, but you've got me thinking - the bird table where he's been spotted is right next to our septic tank.

Reply to
Mike Barnes

Providing him with more suitable food and water?

Reply to
Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics)

They don't multiply from ONE !

Reply to
Brian Sharrock

*The sewers*?? ["The Importance of Being Earnest"]

Much more likely in some old rubbish, or under a shed, or ....

Reply to
Chris Bacon

If I saw a grey squirrel in the garden, I'd certainly take action to get rid of it ASAP. I'd rather have half a dozen rats!

Reply to
Chris Bacon

There never is just one, though.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

No point putting down OTC rat-poison. They love it. Stop feeding the birds.

Reply to
Sam Nelson

Last place I lived, some rats lived under next-door-but-one's shed, and they used to come through next door's back garden to feed on spills from our bird table. A nice man from the council came to a) get rid of them and b) advise us to stop feeding the birds. The saddest part about this was that the rats' route (`rat run', even) took them straight past the nose of next door's terrier as it lay in its basket. Laziest dog I've ever seen.

Reply to
Sam Nelson

Rats and seagulls won't.

Reply to